Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Warren Togami <wt...@redhat.com> on 2010/01/26 19:37:18 UTC

spamassassin-3.3.0 for Fedora/RHEL

http://wtogami.livejournal.com/33674.html

If you use spamassassin on Fedora or RHEL5, please see my blog post for
RPM packages and distro-specific notes.

Warren Togami
wtogami@redhat.com

RE: spamassassin-3.3.0 for Fedora/RHEL

Posted by Spamassassin List <sp...@gmail.com>.
> Of course. You have to remove everything from
> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.003000 that you do not want to use. As an example,

> that is what remains here:

Thank you

Re: spamassassin-3.3.0 for Fedora/RHEL

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Spamassassin List wrote on Thu, 28 Jan 2010 18:38:21 +0800:

> I had remove the sa-update
> from my crontab.

You have to keep using sa-update! Just not these channels!

Do I need to remove all those dostech_net.cf
> files?

Of course. You have to remove everything from
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.003000 that you do not want to use. As an example,
that is what remains here:

70_zmi_german_cf_zmi_sa-update_dostech_net     sought_rules_yerp_org
70_zmi_german_cf_zmi_sa-update_dostech_net.cf  sought_rules_yerp_org.cf
90_2tld_cf_sare_sa-update_dostech_net          updates_spamassassin_org
90_2tld_cf_sare_sa-update_dostech_net.cf       updates_spamassassin_org.cf

Kai

RE: spamassassin-3.3.0 for Fedora/RHEL

Posted by Spamassassin List <sp...@gmail.com>.
>> So how do I stop using sare or openprotect?
>
> remove the rules?
> remove the channels?
>
> I suppose you know if you use them or not, do you?

Yes I am using it. Since the blog advise to stop using it,
thus I am wondering how do I do so? I had remove the sa-update
from my crontab. Do I need to remove all those dostech_net.cf
files?

regards

Re: spamassassin-3.3.0 for Fedora/RHEL

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
R-Elists wrote on Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:56:22 -0800:

> i appreciate your input, yet i really wanted Warren to answer for his blog
> post on it in specific terms related to SA
>
> i can handle absolutes pretty easy...
>
> if we shouldnt use SARE with 3.3.x, no prob.

How long have you been following *this* list? Anyone following this list with
open eyes and mind should have understood a long timee ago that SARE rules
don't add much value nowadays and *in general* because the SA internal rules
get updated regularly and have also incorporated some SARE rules. (* some
rules or rulesets may still be adding good value to some people's
mailsystems. Judge yourself.)

> yet if ambiguous, then it needs to get more granular in the text that help
> and direct people
>
> in regards to 3.2.5, it makes a difference there too...
>
> since SARE isnt really supported anymore, realistically it should be pulled
> and only used as a reference archive, or have HEAVY recommendations not to
> use it and appropriate warnings.

You may want to talk this out with the SARE maintainers. SARE has never been
"officially" endorsed as a must-have, so there's no need to pull it
"officially" either. I think it also helps to read the first page of the
site. SARE has always made clear that you should not add rulesets blindly
(*). You always have to track the results and then reconsider. If you did
that and they are largely unhelpful you pulled them already and if they are
still helpful you keep using "them" (or rather a subset of "them").
(* despite most people just doing that. The advice for these is very clear:
don't use them.)

Kai

RE: spamassassin-3.3.0 for Fedora/RHEL

Posted by R-Elists <li...@abbacomm.net>.

> Just try it out. You will find that the detection rate
> without SARE is excellent and there's likely no benefit from
> SARE. Most SARE are "well outdated". This applies to 3.2.5 as well.
>
> Kai

Kai

i appreciate your input, yet i really wanted Warren to answer for his blog
post on it in specific terms related to SA

i can handle absolutes pretty easy...

if we shouldnt use SARE with 3.3.x, no prob.

yet if ambiguous, then it needs to get more granular in the text that help
and direct people

in regards to 3.2.5, it makes a difference there too...

since SARE isnt really supported anymore, realistically it should be pulled
and only used as a reference archive, or have HEAVY recommendations not to
use it and appropriate warnings.

tia

 - rh

Re: spamassassin-3.3.0 for Fedora/RHEL

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

Posted by R-Elists <li...@abbacomm.net>.

Warren and Others...

just for clarification...

Posted by Spamassassin List <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Spamassassin List <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org>.
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Charles Gregory wrote on Tue, 26 Jan 2010 14:10:51 -0500 (EST):
>> Anyone know where to find a RHEL(CentOS) 4 rpm?
>> Or will it appear in the CentOS 4 official update channels in due time?
> Just do yourself. Follow the instructions on the download page, it's a
> *one liner* !

Ideally I want to keep things 'download and install' so that the
proverbial trained monkey can recreate this server in future.
There is also the minor advantage of having someone else *test* the
rpm so that any issues are resolved before I try to run it on a live
system....

But yes, if there is no 'official' rpm forthcoming, I will be building
my own. (smile) But I figured I would see what is in the pipe first...

- C

Re: spamassassin-3.3.0 for Fedora/RHEL

Posted by Warren Togami <wt...@redhat.com>.
On 01/26/2010 03:31 PM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Charles Gregory wrote on Tue, 26 Jan 2010 14:10:51 -0500 (EST):
>
>> Anyone know where to find a RHEL(CentOS) 4 rpm?
>> Or will it appear in the CentOS 4 official update channels in due time?
>
> Just do yourself. Follow the instructions on the download page, it's a
> *one liner* !
>
> Kai

FWIW, RHEL4 is older than anything I expect that .src.rpm to work with.
  You may also need to build your own perl modules that might be missing.

Warren

Re: spamassassin-3.3.0 for Fedora/RHEL

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

Posted by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org>.