Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/06 21:31:57 UTC

Tuscany Subproject News Bulletin? Would it be useful?

Hi Tuscan Contributors and Users,

I have been thinking about how we can further enhance the flow of
information in Tuscany. New interesting things happen on regular basis and
information is either embedded in an email,  in code/commit log,  embedded
in a webpage on TuscanyWiki or the website. Users of Tuscany may have
interesting information to share, but not have a place to share this
information.

A new person coming to Tuscany may not be able to easily find the
information in archive since they don't know what to look for. Users who are
tracking the project may not have time to read the details of each email and
would probably appreciate finding information quickly. Note that this is not
a particular characteristic of Tuscany. It is just the nature of open source
projects. Lots of good information to dig into in svn, in mailing list, on
websites, etc.

Here is a proposal. How about  a news bulletin  for each subproject that
resides on TuscanyWiki and gets linked into from Tuscany website download
page. This is a live page, contributed to by all. It is not a replacement
for any of the existing communication mechanism. It is a quick pointer to
information that will help people find the latest news.

For example the SCA bulletin could be:
Development bulletin board
- Community is working on the next release of  project. You can participate
in this thread of discussion <ML thread>  if interested..
- There is a quick guide to getting started  <link here>
-  Major efforts in progress, example OSGI , Integration with Geronimo, ....
.... Use your imagination... Anything that can be shared with the community
to help them understand what's going on

Users bulletin board
- Here is a scenario that SCA is used in and here are some examples to share
< link to a page that the data is>
.... Use your imagination.... Anything that can be shared with the community

Questions:
Do you agree that we should spend effort on further enhancing information
flow or there is enough already?
If yes, What type of information would you like to see so that information
can be better organized?
If you agree that we can further enhance information flow, would the idea of
news bulletin work? If not, what else?

I'll take care of the initial draft of the webpages if I know there is
interest to keep these pages live, otherwise there is no point to just add
another page to the wiki.

Haleh

Re: Tuscany Subproject News Bulletin? Would it be useful?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 8/7/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/6/07, Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> i believe now that blog aggregation is the best structure for news.
> > for this to be effective does require a consensus that committers are
> > going to spend a little time regularly blogging about new features.
>

> And we have this with the Tuscany blog at
> http://apache-tuscany.blogspot.com/. Maybe we just need to be a bit more
> focused and proactive about the content would put up there.

+1

letting people know that the content's there is also important

for example, planetapache is widely read. maybe it would be good to
aggregate the feed.

- robert

Re: Tuscany Subproject News Bulletin? Would it be useful?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 8/6/07, Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

i believe now that blog aggregation is the best structure for news.
> for this to be effective does require a consensus that committers are
> going to spend a little time regularly blogging about new features.

And we have this with the Tuscany blog at
http://apache-tuscany.blogspot.com/. Maybe we just need to be a bit more
focused and proactive about the content would put up there.

   ...ant

Re: Tuscany Subproject News Bulletin? Would it be useful?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 8/6/07, haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tuscan Contributors and Users,
>
> I have been thinking about how we can further enhance the flow of
> information in Tuscany. New interesting things happen on regular basis and
> information is either embedded in an email,  in code/commit log,  embedded
> in a webpage on TuscanyWiki or the website. Users of Tuscany may have
> interesting information to share, but not have a place to share this
> information.
>
> A new person coming to Tuscany may not be able to easily find the
> information in archive since they don't know what to look for. Users who are
> tracking the project may not have time to read the details of each email and
> would probably appreciate finding information quickly. Note that this is not
> a particular characteristic of Tuscany. It is just the nature of open source
> projects. Lots of good information to dig into in svn, in mailing list, on
> websites, etc.
>
> Here is a proposal. How about  a news bulletin  for each subproject that
> resides on TuscanyWiki and gets linked into from Tuscany website download
> page. This is a live page, contributed to by all. It is not a replacement
> for any of the existing communication mechanism. It is a quick pointer to
> information that will help people find the latest news.
>
> For example the SCA bulletin could be:
> Development bulletin board
> - Community is working on the next release of  project. You can participate
> in this thread of discussion <ML thread>  if interested..
> - There is a quick guide to getting started  <link here>
> -  Major efforts in progress, example OSGI , Integration with Geronimo, ....
> .... Use your imagination... Anything that can be shared with the community
> to help them understand what's going on
>
> Users bulletin board
> - Here is a scenario that SCA is used in and here are some examples to share
> < link to a page that the data is>
> .... Use your imagination.... Anything that can be shared with the community
>
> Questions:
> Do you agree that we should spend effort on further enhancing information
> flow or there is enough already?
> If yes, What type of information would you like to see so that information
> can be better organized?
> If you agree that we can further enhance information flow, would the idea of
> news bulletin work? If not, what else?
>
> I'll take care of the initial draft of the webpages if I know there is
> interest to keep these pages live, otherwise there is no point to just add
> another page to the wiki.

this is a bit of a history lesson (probably a poor one since it's
based on my fallible memory rather than objective research) so please
feel free to skip or ignore. in fact, this would probably have been
better as a blog but it's a little late now...

in the beginning there was java@apache. then java became xml, jakarta
and cocoon.

when jakarta was young
(http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/news-2000.html), jakarta created
news then lots of news
(http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/index.html).

news proved very popular. too popular, in fact. so, this grew into the
jakarta newsletter which then became the apache newsletter.

but all things have their time: and running a newsletter takes a lot
of energy. what starts as a pleasure becomes a chore.

the theory was that blogging would be a better way of managing news.
thus http://www.planetapache.org/. this been a very successful in many
ways but it turned out that most people prefer to talk about more
personal matters. which is cool in many ways. IMHO planetapache is a
major force in retaining cohesiveness now that there are so many
members and projects.

but i still believe that news is great way to build community and
interest in a project. it's also personally rewarding though it's easy
to underestimate the time that maintaining good news takes.

i believe now that blog aggregation is the best structure for news.
for this to be effective does require a consensus that committers are
going to spend a little time regularly blogging about new features.

good luck and i hope this takes off :-)

- robert

Re: Tuscany Subproject News Bulletin? Would it be useful?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 8/8/07, haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I am not sure if we are agreeing that a news bulletin per subproject is
> worth the effort or not given all the new ideas that were shared on this
> thread. I could go ahead and start this as an experiment, but its content is
> dependent on input from everyone. We can try it for a while and evaluate if
> it is useful or should be removed.

FWIW (in summary) i believe that news is definitely worth the effort
but it's easy to underestimate the energy required...

MOTWYW

- robert

Re: Tuscany Subproject News Bulletin? Would it be useful?

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for the good ideas. Trying to summarize this thread.

1) Blogging is an important communication tool -  We should all attempt to
do this more often. The type of interesting information for blogs would be
things that we'd want to communicate instantly. Cool features that are
becoming available, actual user use cases, ....

2) There seems to be a set of things that fall into important information to
communicate, but does not quite fit the blog profile (Jeff also points to
this). These are things that give a high level view of f where things are
and heading to in the project without digging into tons of mail, etc. For
example, high level roadmap, pointer to current release discussion, pointer
to use cases

Mathew suggests a weekly news digest. Although a great idea, it requires a
dedicated person on an ongoing basis (since everyone will rely on this ;).
What I was proposing is simpler. It is a bulletin board where everyone posts
information of type (2) above.

I am not sure if we are agreeing that a news bulletin per subproject is
worth the effort or not given all the new ideas that were shared on this
thread. I could go ahead and start this as an experiment, but its content is
dependent on input from everyone. We can try it for a while and evaluate if
it is useful or should be removed.

I'll wait another day for feedback before I proceed.

Thanks,
Haleh

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthew Peters <ma...@uk.ibm.com>.
I think it is hard to beat a weekly summary or digest, prepared by someone
who has an overview of what is going on. And I prefer to get it by mail,
although I realise other people often prefer a central page or a feed of
some sort. The reason I like mail is that (1) it sits there till you want
to read it, (2) you read it then (3) file or delete it and it's gone. You
never need to end up reading the same thing twice or looking to see what
is new.

Of course preparing a weekly digest can be a Herculean task. To compare
with another well-known open source project take a look at what Steph Fox
does for PHP (see the articles link on
http://devzone.zend.com/member/83-Steph-Fox-staff) where she pulls
together material from mailing lists and so on. To be honest what she does
is too much for me but it is an example of an authoritative
all-in-one-place source.

Matthew

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.