Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com> on 2010/06/22 15:10:41 UTC

Goals for this week

This week I'm working on unit testing using drain / spout in C++ and
Python, hoping to add Java as well.

Jonathan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Goals for this week

Posted by Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 22 Jun 2010, at 14:15, Martin Ritchie wrote:
> On 22 June 2010 14:12, Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>> Ouch, apologies: sent to wrong list.
>
> We used to say what we were working on this week and I think it was a
> good practice that I'd like to see resurrected.
>
> That said this week I'll be finishing off the Slow Consumer Detection
> (QPID-1447) with the sub-tasks being the remaining work.
>
> Regards
> Martin
>
>> /me slaps self in forehead ...
>>
>> Jonathan
>>
>> On 06/22/2010 09:10 AM, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>>
>>> This week I'm working on unit testing using drain / spout in C++ and
>>> Python, hoping to add Java as well.

I'd certainly find it interesting to know what people were working on
in other parts of the Qpid community, such as the C++ broker, Windows
and python clients, and so on.

I'm mainly interested in the area I can contribute most to - the Java
broker - and I'm sure other developers have similarly restricted
specialties (and not enough time!) so it's rare for me to be
investigating or learning about other parts of the project. The
constant stream of JIRAs being created are obviously part of this,
but often they won't have enough information for someone who doesn't
have an in-depth knowledge of the relevant code, and weight of
numbers means it's hard to sift out the important issues from minor
bug-fixes. This is not just useful to avoid wasted work and point out
areas where we can work more closely, but also just to gain insight
into the bigger picture.

Also, at the very broad-brush level, would it be possible for someone
to create the 'Roadmap' page for the new web-site? It is part of the
template - just commented out - and would be fairly simple to write.
At the moment, for instance, I'm working on 0-10 protocol version
exception handling in the Java broker. I think that one Roadmap item
should be, say, full 0-10 protocol compatibility across all brokers,
and this work obviously forms part of that. It would be good for both
developers *and* end users to at least see some of the list of
features that everyone is committed to for the next release.

I would have thought this information is probably public knowledge
for people who have been developing on Qpid for much longer than me?
But, because it's not collated in one place yet, but it means new
people can't easily tell what is being worked on and what needs
attention and is unloved.

Cheerz,
ADK.
--
-- andrew d kennedy ? do not fold, bend, spindle, or mutilate ;
-- http://grkvlt.blogspot.com/ ? edinburgh : +44 7941 197 134 ;

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Goals for this week

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
On 22 June 2010 14:12, Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Ouch, apologies: sent to wrong list.

We used to say what we were working on this week and I think it was a
good practice that I'd like to see resurrected.

That said this week I'll be finishing off the Slow Consumer Detection
(QPID-1447) with the sub-tasks being the remaining work.

Regards
Martin

> /me slaps self in forehead ...
>
> Jonathan
>
> On 06/22/2010 09:10 AM, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>
>> This week I'm working on unit testing using drain / spout in C++ and
>> Python, hoping to add Java as well.
>>
>> Jonathan

>> Project: http://qpid.apache.org

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org