Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/03 14:08:50 UTC

IR static methods

I have a strong desire to remove all these static methods from IR -
lastModified, getCurrentVersion, getCommitUserData, indexExists.
But haven't found a good place for them yet.

Directory - is a bad place, it shouldn't concern itself with details
of what exactly is stored inside, it should think of 'how' it is
stored.
IndexReader - is bad, it is too heavyweight to be created for getting
something simple once.

We should probably create some new lightweight class that provides a
kind of reflection for the index? Mod dates, versions, userdata,
existence, sizes, deletions, whatever. Both per-index and per-segment.
Essentially it is a wrapper over SegmentInfos that allows us to keep
them hidden (and thus easily changeable), and provides users with more
concise and adequate interface.

Any thoughts?

ICQ: 104465785

Re: IR static methods

Posted by Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com>.
Index/Commit/SegmentMetadata? Several classes, as you can reflect on
various levels of the index.

Some offtopic - SegmentInfo/SegmentsInfo should really be named
Segment/Segments. That's exactly what these objects represent.
You don't use names like PreparedStatementInfo or FileInfo or IntegerInfo :)

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 02:21, Otis Gospodnetic
<ot...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> We have .....
> $ ff \*Info\*java
> ./src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/FieldInfo.java
> ./src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/TermVectorOffsetInfo.java
> ./src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/SegmentInfo.java
> ./src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/TermInfosWriter.java
> ./src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/TermInfo.java
> ./src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/FieldInfos.java
> ./src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/SegmentMergeInfo.java
> ./src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/TermInfosReader.java
> ./src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/SegmentInfos.java
>
> How about IndexInfo?
>
>  Otis

ICQ: 104465785

Re: IR static methods