Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by "eberhard speer jr." <se...@ducis.net> on 2014/07/09 16:48:05 UTC

W3C

Re: W3C

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Eberhard/all,

Thanks, I don't have a .NET environment to take a closer look, but just on
a high level, does it implement any of the W3C "Specs" as per
http://www.w3.org/TR/DDR-Simple-API/ ?

If the answer is "Yes" then for consistency we should insist on having a
similar compatible implementation (aka "DeviceMap Simple DDR") for Java and
any other language or platform we support.
If the .NET version was to completely ignore or abandon the W3C specs, then
backward-compatibility and a migration path for OpenDDR (and to a certain
extent others, e.g. MaDDR, DeviceAtlas,...) users would be the main
argument for the compatible W3C implementation. We need to decide as
project and team if we want to provide that or not.

The current "classifier" uses the same file-structure, maybe in other even
optimized ways (see WURFL[?]) but it is not compatible with the W3C
interfaces in any way.

Werner

Re: W3C

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Without W3C compatibility the 1.0.0 release is useless to most people, the
Simple DDR API IS the 1.0.0 release that has been ready for over 1.5 years
now, it just wasn't bothered to be tagged by anybody[?]

IMHO the "new client" is a good effort towards a 1.x release, just look at
Tomcat 3-8 and how it graduated, but the W3C DDR API is neither dead nor
outdated.
Not sure about MaDDR (it is not accessible here behind the firewall) but
just visit the site of the clear market leader in this area DeviceAtlas
what it states about W3C compatibility:
https://deviceatlas.com/resources/general

>The API software is not updated very frequently, we want to make sure that
the load on developers is as low as possible. The JSON file is updated
daily.

explains why e.g. the W3C Simple DDR API may not undergo as many changes
here at DeviceMap either. The "JSON file" is the equivalent to our XML
files, I don't see we'd update that on a daily basis, so instead of
creating a "fork" of the W3C API maybe we should focus on what really
matters, MAINTAINING device data[?]

Werner

Re: W3C

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.