Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Klortho <Vo...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/02 05:47:44 UTC

Not compatible with Java 1.6?

Hi, I'm new to Forrest -- is it still being actively maintained?
I just tried downloading version 1.8, according to the tutorial here:
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_90/your-project.html
I got through "forrest seed" and "forrest run" fine, but then, when I tried
to generate a static site with "forrest", I got a bunch of errors of this
form:

  validate-sitemap:

C:\bin\apache-forrest-0.8\main\webapp\resources\schema\relaxng\sitemap-v06.rng:72:31:
    error: datatype library "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes" not
    recognized

C:\bin\apache-forrest-0.8\main\webapp\resources\schema\relaxng\sitemap-v06.rng:81:31:
    error: datatype library "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes" not
    recognized

I then found this message:
http://www.mail-archive.com/user@forrest.apache.org/msg02833.html that seems
to indicate that Forrest isn't compatible with Java 1.6.

Is that right?  I'd really rather not install an older version of the JDK
just to play around with Forrest.  If that's really the cause of my problem,
I don't understand why more people don't encounter it -- why there weren't a
lot more hits when I searched for the error message.

Also, what about updating that tutorial page to reflect that?  Maybe Forrest
0.9 doesn't have this problem, but that tutorial page, despite being under
the 0.9 documentation, links to a download page that has no links for
version 0.9 -- only 0.8.  At least a note in the tutorial page about this
issue would have saved me a lot of time.

Re: Not compatible with Java 1.6?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
2009/3/3 Klortho <Vo...@gmail.com>:

> Thanks!  That's solved it.  Yet ... clearly it's just a work-around.  I still
> think the tutorial document should be updated.

We'd be really happy to accept a patch updating the document for us.

Ross

> David Crossley wrote:
>>
>> Klortho wrote:

>>>   validate-sitemap:
>>>
>>> C:\bin\apache-forrest-0.8\main\webapp\resources\schema\relaxng\sitemap-v06.rng:72:31:
>>>     error: datatype library "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes"
>>> not
>>>     recognized
>>>
>>> C:\bin\apache-forrest-0.8\main\webapp\resources\schema\relaxng\sitemap-v06.rng:81:31:
>>>     error: datatype library "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes"
>>> not
>>>     recognized
>>>
>>> I then found this message:
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/user@forrest.apache.org/msg02833.html that
>>> seems
>>> to indicate that Forrest isn't compatible with Java 1.6.
>>
>> A bit more searching would lead to
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-984
>> "validate-sitemap target fails relaxng validation on some JDK 1.6: missing
>> datatypes"
>>
>> That is fixed in the current source SVN.
>>
>> -David

Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - awareness and understanding of open source software
development and use in education
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk

Re: Not compatible with Java 1.6?

Posted by Klortho <Vo...@gmail.com>.

Re: write a file in forrest via sitemap

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
2009/3/3 Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au>:
> [...]

I would add a word of caution that this is not what Forrest is
designed to do. It is a publishing framework, not a content management
framework. For very simple and specific use cases it is possible to
make Forrest behave as a CMS framework (see my other reply). However,
if you find youself needing this I would encourage you to ask yourself
if you are using the right tool.

Forrest excels at translating formats. If you need to manage content
you should us a CMS and run Forrest as a service to tranlsate formats
for your CMS layer.

Ross

RE: write a file in forrest via sitemap

Posted by Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Thanks

Gav...

Re: maintaining the non-default locale setting

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 17:04 +0900, Dr. Bhatia Praveen wrote:
> Hi,
>   How does one maintain a locale setting set by the user?
>   Example:
> 1) Forrest is say set in default English locale
> 2) If we add a clickable option to choose language, say, french (?locale=fr)
> 3) User clicks french. The current page displayed should turn to French
> 4) When he goes to next page that should also be in French (and not English)
>
> How does one carry this new locale setting by the user to the subsequent
> pages?
>
> One of the forrest users website does this, so it is doable! (refer :
> http://www.verit.de/de/index.html). Can someone let us know how.

Not sure but it seems they are matching the language via the path
(.../de/...). From there you can implement a match in your sitemap that
is doing the rewrite.

salu2
Open Source <consulting, training and solutions>

maintaining the non-default locale setting

Re: setting userconfig.xml file in output.xmap in a relative path

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
2009/3/9 Dr. Bhatia Praveen <pr...@sumpurn.com>:
> One more question.
> I changed the paths in the forrest executable's plugins.
> Can this be done by user's sitemap.xmap?

I'm not following you here, what are the "paths in the forrest
executable's plugins"?

Ross

Posted by Sjur Moshagen <sj...@mac.com>.
Which version of Forrest are you using? A lot of work went into the
pdf output plugin last fall, to make it fully user configurable
without touching Forrest itself. So the answer to your question
depends on the version you are using.

Best regards
Sjur

Posted by "Dr. Bhatia Praveen" <pr...@sumpurn.com>.
One more question.
I changed the paths in the forrest executable's plugins.
Can this be done by user's sitemap.xmap?

Praveen

>   I am setting the userconfig.xml file in the output.xmap file in
> org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf
>
>  I have done it naively as thus which works but is locked to a specific
> path C:\user\workspace.......:
>
>  <map:components>
>    <map:serializers default="fo2pdf">
>      <map:serializer name="fo2pdf"
>                src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.FOPSerializer"
>                mime-type="application/pdf">
>  <!-- PB Added this for fonts like msgothic-->
>
> <user-config>C:\user\workspace\forrest\src\main\common/userconfig.xml</user-config>
>  <!-- PB ended font addition -->
>   </map:serializer>
>    </map:serializers>
>  </map:components>
>
> =======
> It works. However, is there a neat way to use properties to write a path
> above so that the path is relative to the forrest workspace?
> I tried things like {properties:xdocs} but couldnt make it work....
>
> Praveen

17:17:00

Re: setting userconfig.xml file in output.xmap in a relative path

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> skrev Dr. Bhatia Praveen:
> >
> >Hi Sjur/Ross,
> > I am using version 0.8 version of forrest.
>
> Ok. I would recommend you to update to the svn trunk version of
> Forrest to get proper configurability of the pdf output plugin in
> Forrest.

Thanks for your answers Sjur. However, we can only
discuss *released* versions on this "user" mail list.

Development versions on the "dev" mail list.

-David

Posted by Sjur Moshagen <sj...@mac.com>.

Posted by "Dr. Bhatia Praveen" <pr...@sumpurn.com>.
Hi Sjur/Ross,
   I am using version 0.8 version of forrest.
   I changed the output.xmap in the installation of forrest 0.8 ie
C:\user\Installation\forrest\apache-forrest-0.8\plugins\org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf

This means that when I change computers/forrest versions, the application
again doesnt work unless I remember to go and chande the installation
plugins file.
So I am looking for a general way (for example in user's sitemap.xmap) where
this setting could be done with properties and so application could move
accross computers/higher versions.

 In earlier version of Forrest it could be done by editing the fo2pdf
pipeline in the sitemap.xmap of the user.

Thanks
Praveen

> I am setting the userconfig.xml file in the output.xmap file in
> org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf
>
> I have done it naively as thus which works but is locked to a specific
> path
> C:\user\workspace.......:
>
> <map:components>
> <map:serializers default="fo2pdf">
> <map:serializer name="fo2pdf"
> src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.FOPSerializer"
> mime-type="application/pdf">
> <!-- PB Added this for fonts like msgothic-->
> <user-config>C:\user\workspace\forrest\src\main\common/userconfig.xml</user-config>
> <!-- PB ended font addition -->
> </map:serializer>
> </map:serializers>
> </map:components>
>
> =======
> It works. However, is there a neat way to use properties to write a path
> above so that the path is relative to the forrest workspace?
> I tried things like {properties:xdocs} but couldnt make it work....

You are using 0.9 right?

If so there is a new properties system, unfortunately it is not well
documented but you can see notes in

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-588

In particular the sub issue
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-734 links to the thread
http://marc.info/?l=forrest-dev&m=114170683324461&w=2 which tells you
how to do this in a scalable way.

As ever, pulling that out into a patch for our documentation would be
really helpful (don't worry about perfect, anything that is not hidded
in the issue tracker is an improvement).

Ross

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
2009/3/4 Dr. Bhatia Praveen <pr...@sumpurn.com>:
>  The example given by Ross, perhaps can solve this type of need, but if it
> is simplified I could try to experiment with it.

It is hard to simplify it any further without knwoing what parts you
don't currently understand. What you want to do is pretty simple for
those of use who understand how Forrest pipelines work and how to
overrride those pipelines in a project sitemap. Unfortunately, you
have to climb that learning curve before it gets simple.

If you have no idea what the pipeline I posted into my earlier message
means then you need to start with developing a basic understanding of
how to customise Forrest [2].

Once you understand that you need to get to grips with the
SourceWritingTransformer. The full documentation for the transformer I
refer to is on the Cocoon website [1].

Finally you need to know how to override specifc transformations in
the Forrest sitemaps. However, your requirement above is quite general
and you need identify specific stages you want to write to disk before
we can give specific help.

BUT...

Many of the intermediate steps are allready available by requesting a
speific URL. For example, if you simply want a copy of the internal
intermediate format (XDoc) for all pages you can turn on the XML link
in skin-conf [3]:

<!-- The xml source link makes it possible to access the xml rendition
    of the source frim the html page, and to have it generated statically.
    This can be used to enable other sites and services to reuse the
    xml format for their uses. Keep this disabled if you don't want other
    sites to easily reuse your pages.-->
  <disable-xml-link>false</disable-xml-link>

Now do "forrest run" and you have an xdoc representation of every file.

Ross

[1] http://cocoon.apache.org/2.0/userdocs/transformers/sourcewriting-transformer.html
[2] http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_90/your-project.html#sitemap.xmap
[3] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/main/fresh-site/src/documentation/skinconf.xml

Posted by "Dr. Bhatia Praveen" <pr...@sumpurn.com>.
Hi Ross,Gavin
    I will explain the need more clearly.
    When transformations take place by the sitemap pipeline, lot of useful
information also gets generated in the process by transformations like xslt
transformations.
    I would like to store these useful informations for record or later use
in another pipeline.
    Hence, I would like to know how in a sequence of transformation pipeline
I could:
1) Open a file to write
2) Write "intermediate useful information" as some xml data into the file
3) close the file
4) continue with the transformation in the pipeline and display in html/pdf
as forrest does.

On a similar note:
     In "forrest run" can we have a copy of the displayed xml/html as a file
by transformations (without using "forrest site")

  The example given by Ross, perhaps can solve this type of need, but if it
is simplified I could try to experiment with it.
best wishes
Praveen

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.