Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> on 2007/12/06 08:34:32 UTC

Re: Merging Shale into MyFaces

to bring light to this discussion;

On Oct 24, 2007 8:15 AM, Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For me, a merger makes sense.
>
> The question is who will do the work, though.

yup! That's right.

> Some reflections on the modules:
>
> - ViewController/Dialog: I hope Orchestra can take in what makes sense
> here (the notion of subflows which

I think the Orchestra VC is pretty solid, right now; I personally like it more.
What potential makes sense (as an addition) is the Dialog mgr
+ the XML-W3C-thing (forgot the name :-) )

> - Clay: Yes, obviously Facelets has won the race - we should all
> concentrate our efforts there, so that the JSF community can profit as
> a whole (and is not splitted)

yes, no need for that, sorry to say.

> - Tiger-extensions: again, this would make sense in Orchestra, as an
> alternative way of configuring Orchestras beans (and also other beans,
> of course) to using Spring

for the discussion I have the understanding, that Tiger will be used as
JSF2 @nnotation solution. We should take that bit for the next impl... :)

> - test-framework: we've long used it in MyFaces, but for recent tests
> both Matthias and me have used EasyMock, it is somewhat easier to
> define changing interface behaviour with EasyMock than with static
> mock-classes. Still, this is valuable, and should be a separate module
> in the merger.
> - validators - no, probably not really

please no

> - s:token: I'd love to have a generic way of preventing duplicated
> posts. But I guess this is something that Orchestra could eventually
> handle?
>
> apart from that, I don't know much more about Shale - sorry.

other bits, that were discussed were:
-AppController
  looks like nobody is really interested in this
-Remoting
  sounds like a nice enhancement; and may be JSF 2.0 (as mentioned by
some folks here)
-Spring-Integration
  no need for that

(Did I miss a module?)

It was discussed, that Shale should have a final release;
I am +1 on that.

I am not sure, if all modules should really make it into MyFaces.
I can see interest in these Shale-modules:
-Dialog
-Remoting
-Test
-Tiger
-ViewController

What happens to the rest?
I don't know;
Will they be maintained ?
I don't know;

> regards,
>
> Martin
>

> On 10/22/07, Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> wrote:
> > Ok, so what about having a 'myfaces dormant' project where each module gets
> > added where it seems there is no real maintainer.
> > This could be a place for abandoned sandbox stuff too.
> > I know, the word 'maintainer' is not well placed in the context of an apache
> > community, but in the end I think it would be fair to show to users that no
> > one is really working on an project.
> >

> > Mario

Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

Re: Merging Shale into MyFaces

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
we can do that. I'd also like to see this (sub)project stays alive,
at Apache ;-)

I am not sure, if we need the infra@ guys for the mv.

-M

Posted by "Jesse Alexander (KSFH 323)" <al...@credit-suisse.com>.
Their is a feature in the SNAPSHOT version of test-framework that reads
the implementation's configuration, i.e. faces.xml, when setting up the
environment.  This feature is valuable when testing against different
implementations, i.e. RI 1.1.  In tomahawk 1.1.x, I hard coded some of
the  configuration to enable some of the component testing.  This hard
coding fails when testing against the RI.  At one time I did modify the
test to use the SNAPSHOT version of test-framework to run the tests
against the RI, but I never committed the works because I did not want
to introduce a SNAPSHOT dependency.  Move the test-framework into
MyFaces and I will commit the work.
That kind of testing framework-feature is worth a lot. Makes setting up
the
testing-environment somewhat easier...

regards
Alexander

Re: Merging Shale into MyFaces

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
I did a better version of the tiles-integration for tomahawk (also
works with Tiles2 now).

regards,

Martin

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Kito D. Mann" <km...@virtua.com>.
Paul,

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
That's cool;
I think, I now remember (perhaps I forgot b/c of the cycling bar), you told me
about it;

We should have a release in shale, before we move/refactor/overhaul things;

Let's discuss this release thing on shale-dev ml;
-M

Posted by Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com>.
Although I usually prefer dynamic mocks and easymock, I'm interested in the
test framework but only in this test module not other modules of shale.

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
Matthias,

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 12/6/07, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> to bring light to this discussion;
>
> On Oct 24, 2007 8:15 AM, Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > For me, a merger makes sense.
> >
> > The question is who will do the work, though.
>
> yup! That's right.

<snip/>

Moving house can't be all that much work in this case, if thats the
consensus. I intend to be around.

> > Some reflections on the modules:
> >
> > - ViewController/Dialog: I hope Orchestra can take in what makes sense
> > here (the notion of subflows which
>
> I think the Orchestra VC is pretty solid, right now; I personally like it more.
> What potential makes sense (as an addition) is the Dialog mgr
> + the XML-W3C-thing (forgot the name :-) )

<snap/>

SCXML (I suspect you'll only hear more about it, so it'll get easier
to remember over time ;-)

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Perhaps, we just should wait, when it comes to Faces 2.x impl and take
the bits, as we need them;
same is true for Orchestra (like Dialog/VC) as well.

Besides that, the Test may be interesting for us, since we use it, and
I'd like to see that module stays alive :-)

-Matthias