Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/07 14:50:16 UTC

SOLR-5302, Analytics

All:

I'm a little overwhelmed by this thing. It's 500K and currently fails
precommit with javadoc warnings. I can fix those bits with some
boilerplate...

But, how to proceed? I've no hope of competently reviewing 500K of changes
(some if it is documentation, true). But it obviously have lots and lots of
work put in to it, and I'd like to get moving on getting this checked in.

I'm looking for some consensus here on whether just fixing up the javadocs
and running the test suite is enough to at least check it in to trunk. From
there, letting it bake for a week or two and merging into 4.x (after 4.6 is
cut) would be the next step.

It's new functionality, so it doesn't seem _too_ dangerous.

See, if people don't raise objections, I can spread the blame if things go
wrong :)

Re: SOLR-5302, Analytics

Posted by Bram Van Dam <br...@intix.eu>.
>> See, if people don't raise objections, I can spread the blame if things
>> go wrong :)

My opinion isn't particularly important, but I've been keeping an eye on
this feature for a while. The devs seemed pretty confident about the
status last I checked.

It's an isolated feature with little (no?) impact on the rest of the
code, so I say go for it.

*walks away quietly*

Re: SOLR-5302, Analytics

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
On 07/11/13 14:50, Erick Erickson wrote:
> All:
>
> I'm a little overwhelmed by this thing. It's 500K and currently fails
> precommit with javadoc warnings. I can fix those bits with some
> boilerplate...
>
> But, how to proceed? I've no hope of competently reviewing 500K of
> changes (some if it is documentation, true). But it obviously have lots
> and lots of work put in to it, and I'd like to get moving on getting
> this checked in.
>
> I'm looking for some consensus here on whether just fixing up the
> javadocs and running the test suite is enough to at least check it in to
> trunk. From there, letting it bake for a week or two and merging into
> 4.x (after 4.6 is cut) would be the next step.
>
> It's new functionality, so it doesn't seem _too_ dangerous.
>
> See, if people don't raise objections, I can spread the blame if things
> go wrong :)

In my opinion if it passes tests (and precommit checks ;) ) it should go
to trunk so that people start experimenting with it for real - it's
harder to do so when it's only a (massive) patch.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki

Re: SOLR-5302, Analytics

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Steve,

Have a look at stream-lib and its QDigest implementation for mergable
percentiles. That's what we currently use in SPM....until Ted Dunning
shares his lean implementation ...

Otis
Solr & ElasticSearch Support
http://sematext.com/

Re: SOLR-5302, Analytics

Posted by Steven Bower <sm...@alcyon.net>.

Re: SOLR-5302, Analytics

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
+1 for committing it. Progress over perfection.

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All:
>
> I'm a little overwhelmed by this thing. It's 500K and currently fails
> precommit with javadoc warnings. I can fix those bits with some
> boilerplate...
>
> But, how to proceed? I've no hope of competently reviewing 500K of changes
> (some if it is documentation, true). But it obviously have lots and lots of
> work put in to it, and I'd like to get moving on getting this checked in.
>
> I'm looking for some consensus here on whether just fixing up the javadocs
> and running the test suite is enough to at least check it in to trunk. From
> there, letting it bake for a week or two and merging into 4.x (after 4.6 is
> cut) would be the next step.
>
> It's new functionality, so it doesn't seem _too_ dangerous.
>
> See, if people don't raise objections, I can spread the blame if things go
> wrong :)

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.