Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ven <ve...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/03 16:24:51 UTC

[users@httpd] Disturbing: speed of Probing by IIS webservers (nimda?)

hi all,

After last week's fight with my webserver and finally getting it good to go due
to simple upgrade of my router firmware (bangs head against wall), I am finding
some disturbing trends in the accesslog.

Every time I start the server, I get those hits of the type of "GET ....
cmd.exe" - which, after a bit of searching the web, I understood to be
nimda/code red infected IIS webservers.

That doesn't really bother me since everyone says apache is unaffected. What
DOES bother me is how it found me: no one knows I have a webserver. Thus far it
is a  personal webserver for no other use than to learn. So you couldn't just
"happen" to come across the website since nothing really knows or links to it.
So how is this IIS webserver or whatever it is getting to know that my http
port is open? because within 2-15 minutes of starting the webserver, I get hits
for a cmd.exe from one of these infected servers.
How in the world did it know I was online??
Is it because I already have something (virus?) that is breaching the security
and letting this server know of my ip-address whereabouts?
I have zonealarm on the windows side and my router will not respond to any WAN
requests (pings etc don't get a response).
Whatever it is that tries to get at the cmd.exe on my computer is pretty
impressive if the response time is that quick on a "blind" probing.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Ven

Re: [users@httpd] Disturbing: speed of Probing by IIS webservers (nimda?)

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> Any ideas/thoughts?

Are you on a cable modem?  IIRC, nimbda and variants 'know' about blocks of
IP addresses where they are likely to find a host.  Cable IPs I would think
are a fine canidate.

I wouldn't worry about it, my personal webserver gets the same things, and
more often than the servers here at work.

If it's a large corporation's server attacking me, repeatidly, I'll send an
email to the register's email address telling them to knock it off.  I had
two servers from a major tobacco company attack the servers every hour or so
for about a week.  I got real tired of that :)

-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com

Re: [users@httpd] Size of Apache in memory

Posted by Duncan Brannen <db...@st-andrews.ac.uk>.
At 11:17 03/09/2002 -0400, you wrote:

> > Is this normal?  It seems a huge jump from the 7M of the standard
> > install.  If not - any thoughts on
> > what I may have done or what I can do to reduce the size.  The Netra it's
> > running on has
> > been upgraded to have 1G of RAM but it's going to be hit heavily again at
> > the start of term & I'd
> > like it not to go splat.
>
>have you checked out MaxRequestsPerChild?

Cheers,
         Yes, I have this at 0 on the main server & it seems to behave
but It's set at 10000 on this one & the memory usage is from startup.

It's doing some database queries but they should be fairly simple.

         Dunk

># MaxRequestsPerChild: the number of requests each child process is
># allowed to process before the child dies.  The child will exit so
># as to avoid problems after prolonged use when Apache (and maybe the
># libraries it uses) leak memory or other resources.  On most systems, this
># isn't really needed, but a few (such as Solaris) do have notable leaks
># in the libraries. For these platforms, set to something like 10000
># or so; a setting of 0 means unlimited.
>
>73mb per process seems absurd, unless you are doing huge db queries that
>require several results to be stored in memory at one time.
>
>-Jacob
>http://www.listingbook.com

These opinions are mine, not those of the University of St. Andrews
The University's opinion is that I should be getting on with my work.

Re: [users@httpd] Size of Apache in memory

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.

Posted by Duncan Brannen <db...@st-andrews.ac.uk>.

Hi All,
         Anybody out there running Apache 1.3.26 on Solaris 8 with
SSL?  We've got a few
servers around campus and one of them died recently while spouting cannot
fork process
messages.  It looks like it ran out of memory & running top or ps show's
apache with SSL
fast cgi, mod_python and auth_ldap using 73M of ram per server process, our
main web
server with just auth_ldap is using 7M and a 3rd server running apache,
auth_ldap and SSL
using 34M

Looks like there's been a mention of this recently but..

Is this normal?  It seems a huge jump from the 7M of the standard
install.  If not - any thoughts on
what I may have done or what I can do to reduce the size.  The Netra it's
running on has
been upgraded to have 1G of RAM but it's going to be hit heavily again at
the start of term & I'd
like it not to go splat.

Cheers,
         Duncan

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
ln -s /dev/random cmd.exe

also known as "how to totally fill your upload bandwith"

Maybe, if you're lucky, it will cause a buffer overrun and crash the
offending server. ;)

Posted by Ven <ve...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks guys, that does put the issue in new light. I can see how these things
can be so fast (buggers!). I am on a dsl line. maybe I am going to create a

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.

Posted by John Elkins <jo...@vermontdatabase.com>.