Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za> on 2007/07/09 13:51:57 UTC

PORTLET live site examples?

A previous user post has got me as curious as anything...
There's a lot of YADA BLAH on the web, but I cant find any live portal sites.

Does anyone know where one can actually go to see this stuff in action.... live examples.

Thx

Johnny Kewl
  eMail: John<No Spam>kewlstuff.co.za  -- replace <No Spam> with @ --
  Cell: +027-72- 473-9331
Java Developer (Tomcat Aficionado)
  Free Tomcat software at  http://coolese.100free.com/

Re: PORTLET live site examples?

Posted by Jacob Rhoden <ja...@uptecs.com>.
Johnny Kewl wrote:
> Hi Jacob..... thanks
> There is tons of literature on it, but boy its like looking for a
> needle in a hay stack actually finding one that clearly uses all this
> technology

Portal Architecture is heavily used by teaching institutions to solve a
number of speciffic problems (not always successfully i might add).

When a company has 10 different web sites all with different styles and
layouts for various legacy reasons and they cant be change, a portal can
bring all sites into it, one site per tab, with a consistent corporate
image.

When workflow of your staff involves interacting with multiple different
systems, (ie logging in and out of different systems). A portal can wrap
the systems, provide single sign on (using a number of different
mechanisms) and present each step of the workflow on a single page, or
over a series of pages.

In a big company, When workflow of your staff crosses software/websites
from different departments (who do their own programming and want to do
things "their way" and dont work together for political reasons) you can
make them simply write portlets, and let the portal team control how the
departments applications look and feel and work.

I could go on for quite some time but I don't have time to write an
essay, these are probably some of the most important benefits. If you
are a small company the concept of a portlet is still helpful but not as
useful as to a big company with a large number of sites.

-jacob

Re: PORTLET live site examples?

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Thanks for explaining how you use it....
Think you absolutely right, having a standard in a large institution is
probably the governing concern.
Now that I know what a portlet is, the next time I stick a hidden field in a
form to control the backend logic and flow control, or include one JSP page
in another, its always going to get me thinking about portlets. Its
certainly interesting, in many ways I think programmers without even
thinking about it, are using "subliminal" portlets already.... take that to
the extremes of UI and biz logic separation, and you have portlets.

.... the frameworks built on top of tomcat seem to be endless, just when I
think I've seen it all, something else pops up, its no wonder this mailing
list is so good.

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
johny,

as far as i informed this site uses portal server along with a
classical cms solution: http://www.omv.at

OMV is one of the big players on the european oil market having gas
stations in at least 5 countries (probably more).

However, the project itself was a mess (i've heard :-))

regards
Leon