Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by siegfried <si...@heintze.com> on 2007/08/01 02:08:01 UTC

[users@httpd] What ID does httpd run under? How to protect files so they are accessible to httpd?

I just downloaded and installed the cygwin implementation of httpd2. I'm
running Win2003 server.

I wanted the cygwin version so I could use the "ln -s" command to make files
outside the directory available to the web server. (I don't know how to "ln
-s" in windows otherwise). I used this trick 6 months ago on a WinXP Pro and
it worked fine (but I might have been running httpd2 from the cygwin bash
command prompt in which case everyone would have been running in the same
account).

The files I want accessible are on a $100 linksys NAS controller running
linux that are made accessible via samba. I can see these files fine from
the Windows Administrator account but apparently httpd2 cannot because it
says there are inaccessible.

I then copied these files from the samba server to c:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\My Documents" and decided I did not want to grant
"everyone" access to this directory. I moved them to c:\temp and had the
exact same problem, even after granting "everyone" read access.

When I finally moved them to the c:\cygwin\svr\www\htdocs everything worked.
But this is not what I wanted!

What am I doing wrong?

Does httpd2 have the ability to impersonate accounts like IIS does?

Thanks,

Siegfried

Re: [users@httpd] What ID does httpd run under? How to protect files so they are accessible to httpd?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 7/31/07, siegfried <si...@heintze.com> wrote:

> I wanted the cygwin version so I could use the "ln –s" command to make files
> outside the directory available to the web server. (I don't know how to "ln
> –s" in windows otherwise).

Just use the Alias directive in httpd.conf!

(Symlinks are called junctions in windows, but you don't need them
when you can just use an Alias.)

I really would not recommend the cygwin version. Use the native
windows apache version.

Joshua.