Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de> on 2008/01/14 16:32:25 UTC

HttpComponents PMC Report January 2008

Status Report for the Apache HttpComponents project, January 2008
[monthly reporting schedule through February]

-- Status --

There are no items needing immediate attention of the board except to
note
that we are currently in the process of drafting our own PMC bylaws.

-- Releases --

No releases since last report.

We are working on releasing HttpCore 4.0 beta1 very soon.

-- Community --

No arrivals or departures.

We have made a lot of modifications to the web site to improve
navigation
and make it easier for users to find the documentation we have on the
site
and on the wiki. We still need to add a useful Get Involved page and
developer documentation, to lower the bar for new contributors and to
spread the knowledge better among the existing committers.

-- Migration --

Since the end of December 2007, we no longer depend on Jakarta
resources.

Items done:
	- moved Subversion content
		- updated Subversion and mail references in Maven
		- updated Gump metadata
	- moved all sections of the web site
		- set up redirect from the site at Jakarta
		- updated site references in Maven
	- moved download area to dist/httpcomponents/
		- set up download redirect from dist/jakarta/
	- consolidated archive at dist/httpcomponents/
		- set up archive redirect from dist/jakarta/
		- set up archive redirect from dist/commons/
	- created DOAPs for HttpCore and HttpClient 4.0
	- updated DOAPs for Commons HttpClient 3.1
	- updated external mail archives
		- www.nabble.com
		- marc.info

Items still in work:
	- move of Wiki, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-1442
	- creating the bylaws, we're still operating under Jakarta bylaws

-- Development --

We are currently using Maven 2 for generating and deploying the main
web site
and the component specific sites, and Maven 1 for generating and
deploying
the HttpClient 3.1 site. There are some kinks to the Maven 2 deployment
process. We will consider to move to a Subversion based deployment
for the
main web site. Component specific sites and the 3.1 site are
typically only
redeployed after releases and include extensive generated content like
JavaDocs and cross-referenced sources, these make little sense in
Subversion.

The release of HttpCore 4.0 beta1 is imminent. This can be considered
a major
milestone, as it marks the beginning of API stability in HttpCore. We
have made
significant and incompatible improvements to the API after each of
the six
alphas, and have finally reached a point where we are reasonably
comfortable
with it.

In HttpClient, we were able to resolve a long-standing deficiency in the
interrupt handling of the thread-safe connection manager by using Java 5
features. The decision to upgrade the Java requirement proved really
useful
here.