Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Matthew A. Siegler" <ms...@intelliseek.com> on 2002/11/06 16:56:15 UTC

rfc2980 musings

commons.net.nntp supports rfc977 quite nicely, but there are a few tantalizing commands in the rfc2980 specification
which are pervasive and very useful. The one in particular that I'm fond of is "LISTGROUP [group]" which returns a list
of valid article numbers for the active group or [group] if specified.

Currently, the way I'm implementing this is a gory hack via conversion of private _reader into protected _reader in
nntp.NNTP so that I can extend nntp.NNTPClient with my own nntp.NNTPClient2 and return the DotTerminatedMessageReader
myself. This is breaking the API.

Any suggestions with regards to extending the command set to include rfc2980? It's a huge set of extensions and many are
unsupported or unpredictable.

Matthew Siegler
Research Scientist
Intelliseek, Inc