Posted to dev@cmda.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2016/07/03 13:27:30 UTC

[VOTE] Retire the CMDA Podling

All,

There was a discussion recently [1] started by Chris about the state of the
podling.  I'm concerned about lack of public activity, and what seems to be
external forces who control the state of the podling.  As a result, I'm
calling a vote to retire the CMDA podling.

[ ] +1 to retire CMDA from the Incubator
[ ] -1 to keep CMDA in the Incubator

John

[1]:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3c341a6f977e1e650980fb0c66f8669e428c98bc2e8c130d6f948d21@%3Cdev.cmda.apache.org%3E

Re: RE: [VOTE] Retire the CMDA Podling

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

On 2016-07-05 15:58 (-0400), "Pan, Lei (398K)" <le...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Like Jia said, we would like to stay and therefore
> would appreciate it greatly if the mentors could
> give us a three-month probation.
>
> Our latest efforts in creating a CMDA community include
> recruiting a Caltech student into our development
> team via the summer internship program, and getting
> ready to serve as the tool for the Caltech/JPL climate
> summer school. We will be reporting the details of
> these activities along the way.

Was this via GSoC or something else that the ASF is affiliated with?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1.

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect
Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
Director, Information Retrieval and Data Science Group (IRDS)
WWW: http://irds.usc.edu/

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jia Zhang <ji...@sv.cmu.edu>.
Dear Chris and Mentors:

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello all

I'm not a mentor of CMDA, but I would be happy if they could have this
chance. I talked about CMDA to local director of IRD (a French
governmental organization trying to help developing countries) and he
was quite interested in this project. Even if they do not participate
directly, some are watching.

I'm myself interesting in doing some little contributions, if they are
pertinent. For example I'm interested in the relationship with
international standards (OGC and ISO), if there is an interest for that.

    Best regards,

        Martin

Le 05/07/16 � 20:01, Jia Zhang a �crit :

Posted by Jia Zhang <ji...@west.cmu.edu>.
Dear Chris and Mentors:

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
As a fellow mentor I have to agree with Chris. We've tried on numerous
occasions to help the developers understand the need for public,
community-based work. They just don't seem to be getting it. I get the
feeling that the nature of this project sort of requires this type of
directed development instead of community-driven development.

So I'm a reluctant +1.

Greg

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

On 2016-07-05 11:57 (-0400), Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com> wrote:
> Hello John
>
> Sorry for the delay. I saw the thread and the call for the vote, but I'm
> not sure to understand what "podling" means?

Podling is the name the ASF associates with sub-projects in the incubator, as best as I can describe it.  Basically, if the incubator is responsible for turning these communities into projects, the one word title for that community while they're under the incubator is "podling."

The reasoning behind this retirement vote is:

- CMDA still does not commit to the ASF first.
- CMDA still does not publicly discuss the inner workings of their project on ASF lists, in addition to generally low activity on the lists.
- CMDA has consistently been difficult to get reports from.

After a year, the podling should have made strives.  The first bullet point is the most critical one, as it limits community involvement.  Basically you would need to have access to whatever private repository is receiving commits to interact.

John

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello John

Sorry for the delay. I saw the thread and the call for the vote, but I'm
not sure to understand what "podling" means?

    Martin

Le 03/07/16 � 15:27, John D. Ament a �crit :

Re: [CANCEL] [VOTE] Retire the CMDA Podling

Posted by Jia Zhang <ji...@sv.cmu.edu>.
Dear John:

Thanks for your giving us the 2nd chance.

Best regards,
Jia

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Thanks John.

If no one beats me to it, I’ll do so this weekend.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
All,