Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Lewis Watson <li...@visionsix.com> on 2002/03/21 04:44:56 UTC

Virtual Hosts and

I have several ip based virtual hosts running on apache 1.3.20 w/ linux. I
would like to be able to have all virtual host configs in a file that is
separate from the httpd.conf file. Is there a way the httpd.conf could call
a file when its loading to read the virtual host information from it? My
goal in such is to where I could have this portable file that has nothing
other than virtual host information. This way I could easily move all
virtual hosts to another machine if so needed independent of the httpd.conf
file.

Also, while doing some reading Linux Apache Web Server Administration
published by Sybex I found where this guy recommends using the <Directory
/home/wherever> as little as possible. I actually wanted to have one, even
though they might be similar, for each virtual host. Does this cause a
problem with performance or what would be the reasoning behind it?
I appreciate your time.
Lewis Watson

Re: Virtual Hosts and

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Lewis Watson wrote:

>  Also, while doing some reading Linux Apache Web Server Administration
> published by Sybex I found where this guy recommends using the
> <Directory /home/wherever> as little as possible. I actually wanted
> to have one,  even though they might be similar, for each virtual host.
> Does this cause a  problem with performance or what would be the
> reasoning behind it?

What *was* his reasoning behind it?

Or did he just say "don't use <Directory>..." with no explanantion?

AFAIK, <Directory>, like <Files> and <Location>, is just a way of
ascribing attributes to files. In other words, these directives are used
to build a rulebase of what can and cannot be done when a request
arrives for a file.

I can't think of any reason *not* to use <Directory> - unless "the guy"
didn't like this method of refering to files.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

Re: Virtual Hosts and

Posted by Lewis Watson <li...@visionsix.com>.

> > Also, while doing some reading Linux Apache Web Server Administration
> > published by Sybex I found where this guy recommends using the
> > <Directory
> > /home/wherever> as little as possible. I actually wanted to have one,
> > even
> > though they might be similar, for each virtual host. Does this cause a
> > problem with performance or what would be the reasoning behind it?
> Imo it's all because of security, since default user home permissions
> are 0700

But there is already an implied <Directory /home/wherever> from the main
server config. What effect,  other than specified settings, would there be
by having a <Directory> config for each virtual host?
Thanks.
Lewis Watson

Re: Virtual Hosts and

Posted by Artiom Morozov <ar...@phreaker.net>.
îÁ 2002.03.21 05:44 Lewis Watson ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌ:
> I have several ip based virtual hosts running on apache 1.3.20 w/
> linux. I
> would like to be able to have all virtual host configs in a file that
> is
> separate from the httpd.conf file. Is there a way the httpd.conf could
> call
> a file when its loading to read the virtual host information from it?
[skipped]
use Include <filename>