Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Daniel M Garland <da...@titanemail.com> on 2007/09/25 19:26:16 UTC

DeltaManager cannot receive message through TCP channel in Tomcat cluster

Hi all,

I've been running two Tomcat 5.5.20 servers in a cluster for some time
on Mac OSx but we've recently moved to 64-bit architecture (Debian etch)
. I tried as far as possible to keep the config the same, so only the OS
has changed (and I also got the Apache Portable Runtime going). However
since moving to this new setup I'm starting to see the following
messages in my catalina.out:

25-Sep-2007 16:35:11 org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager
messageReceived
SEVERE: Manager []: Unable to receive message through TCP channel
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
com.mycompany.someSerialiazbleObject

and sometimes in other web apps I see instead of ClassNotFoundException:

java.io.InvalidClassException:
org.mycomapny.someOtherSerializableObject; local class incompatible:
stream classdesc serialVersionUID = -1393554805485899996, local class
serialVersionUID = 8444624889687850885

Now I did some homework here and I've tried the following without success:

1) I've compiled the java files on the server's themselves, so I am sure
that the correct class versions are being used
2) The object implements java.io.Serializable, and has a generated
serial ID from Eclipse. Incidentally, this Long value matches the local
class serialVersionUID, so I have no idea where the 'stream'
serialVersionUID comes from.
3) I have the same code running on both the Tomcat servers.

What I would like to know is where I am supposed to look next for some
answers to this problem. Is there any more information from my config
that would be relevant to post here?

Thanks in advance, my first 'tomcat-users' post :)

Dan Garland
daniel.garland@NO-SPAMtitanemail.com

-- Stack Trace --
25-Sep-2007 16:35:11 org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager
messageReceived
SEVERE: Manager []: Unable to receive message through TCP channel
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
com.mycompany.someSerialiazbleObject
         at
java.io.ObjectInputStream.resolveClass(ObjectInputStream.java:574)
         at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.ReplicationStream.resolveClass(ReplicationStream.java:84)
         at
java.io.ObjectInputStream.readNonProxyDesc(ObjectInputStream.java:1538)
         at
java.io.ObjectInputStream.readClassDesc(ObjectInputStream.java:1460)
         at
java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:1693)
         at
java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1299)
         at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:339)
         at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaRequest$AttributeInfo.readExternal(DeltaRequest.java:334)
         at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaRequest.readExternal(DeltaRequest.java:246)
         at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager.loadDeltaRequest(DeltaManager.java:697)
         at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager.handleSESSION_DELTA(DeltaManager.java:1572)
         at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager.messageReceived(DeltaManager.java:1522)
         at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager.messageDataReceived(DeltaManager.java:1271)
         at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.ClusterSessionListener.messageReceived(ClusterSessionListener.java:85)
         at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster.receive(SimpleTcpCluster.java:1167)
         at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ClusterReceiverBase.messageDataReceived(ClusterReceiverBase.java:426)
         at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.io.ObjectReader.execute(ObjectReader.java:107)
         at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.TcpReplicationThread.drainChannel(TcpReplicationThread.java:138)
         at
org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.TcpReplicationThread.run(TcpReplicationThread.java:69)

Re: DeltaManager cannot receive message through TCP channel in Tomcat cluster

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
Daniel M Garland wrote:
> Thanks for the response
>
> So is it better to have one cluster rather than one per host?
easier to manage and troubleshoot one cluster than many.
> What about hosts that don't have clustering enabled?
that's not a problem, clustering only applies to webapps with the
<distributable/> element, if the all apps in a host are non clustered,
then no clustering will be applied.
> Surely there are advantages with having a separate cluster, its
> listening on a different address so it would have its own message
> buffer etc.?
I see that as disadvantages, but thats a personal opinion.

> [...]
>           unpackWars="true" autoDeploy="true">

>          <Cluster
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"
>
> managerClassName="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager"
>                  expireSessionsOnShutdown="false"
>                  useDirtyFlag="true"
>                  notifyListenersOnReplication="true">
>
>             <Membership
>
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService"
>                 mcastAddr="228.0.0.5"
>                 mcastPort="45565"
>                 mcastFrequency="500"
>                 mcastDropTime="20000"/>
>
>             <Receiver
>
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationListener"
>                 tcpListenAddress="10.78.1.32"
>                 tcpListenPort="5000"
>                 tcpSelectorTimeout="100"
>                 tcpThreadCount="6"/>
>
>             <Sender
>
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter"
>                 replicationMode="pooled"
>                 ackTimeout="15000"
>                 stateTransferTimeout="45"
>                 waitForAck="true"/>
>
>             <Valve
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationValve"
>
> filter=".*\.gif;.*\.js;.*\.jpg;.*\.png;.*\.css;.*\.txt;"/>
>             <ClusterListener
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.ClusterSessionListener"/>
>         </Cluster>
>       </Host>
>
>      <Host name="myothervirtualhost.com" appBase="/var/webapps/blah"
>        unpackWars="true" autoDeploy="true">

>        <Cluster
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"
>
> managerClassName="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager"
>                  expireSessionsOnShutdown="false"
>                  useDirtyFlag="true"
>                  notifyListenersOnReplication="true">
>
>             <Membership
>
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService"
>                 mcastAddr="229.0.0.5"
>                 mcastPort="45565"
>                 mcastFrequency="500"
>                 mcastDropTime="20000"/>
>
>             <Receiver
>
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationListener"
>                 tcpListenAddress="10.78.1.32"
>                 tcpListenPort="5100"
>                 tcpSelectorTimeout="100"
>                 tcpThreadCount="6"/>
>
>             <Sender
>
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter"
>                 replicationMode="pooled"
>                 ackTimeout="15000"
>                 waitForAck="true"/>
>
>             <Valve
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationValve"
>
> filter=".*\.gif;.*\.js;.*\.jpg;.*\.png;.*\.css;.*\.txt;"/>
>
>             <ClusterListener
> className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.ClusterSessionListener"/>
>         </Cluster>
>      </Host>

>     </Engine>
>
> Is there anything amiss with this configuration that would result in
shouldn't be, unless you have some rogue instances running somewhere
with the same config

Filip

Posted by Daniel M Garland <da...@titanemail.com>.
Thanks for the response

So is it better to have one cluster rather than one per host? What about
hosts that don't have clustering enabled? Surely there are advantages

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Posted by Daniel M Garland <da...@titanemail.com>.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
you probably have some rogue java process still running somewhere with
clustering enabled,

Filip

Posted by Daniel M Garland <da...@titanemail.com>.
Hi

In another thread I was advised to change my virtual host config, which
has moved this problem on a little bit. I now have a manger context for
each virtual host, rather than just on localhost, and these manager apps
seem to report the session count; its only the localhost manager that
doesn't seem to work properly. Does that shed any light on things?

And no the old macs have been re-deployed somewhere else...

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: DeltaManager cannot receive message through TCP channel in Tomcat cluster

Posted by Daniel M Garland <da...@titanemail.com>.
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Is Eclipse re-setting the serialVersionUID for each compile, or do you
> have one explicitly set in your code? (Meaning, does the
> serialVersionUID ever change?)

Well in Eclipse I said 'add generated ID', but this declares a final
static long that hasn't changed because the code in the class is the
same. This long value matches what the Tomcat log says is the 'local'
class name...

>> 3) I have the same code running on both the Tomcat servers.
>
> Are you sure? Try checking md5sum or sha1sum for the classes in
> question. Object serialization should not depend upon the architecture
> (that's the whole point), so switching from a 32-bit machine to a 64-bit
> one should not have changed anything.

Yeh the MD5Sum matches.

Any other ideas? I've got expireSessionsOnShutdown=false on my Cluster
element, perhaps when I redeployed the code at some point some old
session with an old ID is being preserved somehow? I'm not using any
session persistence either.

Another strange thing is since this started happening I don't ever see
the session count in the manager app increase above zero, even though if
I sit in front of the webapp my session is persisted across the
cluster... weird.

Thanks
Dan

Re: DeltaManager cannot receive message through TCP channel in Tomcat cluster

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.