Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Ri...@atradius.com on 2006/03/27 17:34:56 UTC

XMLConfiguration: Keyname list

Hi

Question regarding XMLConfiguration. How could I get the list of keynames
stored in an XMLConfiguration object?

Say for instance my XML file looks like -

<database>
  <tables>
      <name>users</name>
      <fields>
        <field>
          <name>uid</name>
          <type>long</type>
        </field>
        <field>
          <name>uid</name>
          <type>long</type>
        </field>

.
.
.
.
</database>

Is there an  API which would return a Collection of containing the following
keynames?

tables.table(0).fields(0).field.name

tables.table(0).fields(1).field.name

If not an API is there a standard way of doing this.

Cheers

Rishi

This message is intended for the addressee or its representative only.
Any form of unauthorized use, publication, reproduction, copying or
disclosure of the content of this e-mail is not permitted. If you are
not the intended recipient of this e-mail message and its contents,
please notify the sender immediately and delete this message and
all its attachments subsequently.

Re: XMLConfiguration: Keyname list

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@t-online.de>.
Rishikesh.Mallesh@atradius.com wrote:

>Hi
>

>Question regarding XMLConfiguration. How could I get the list of keynames
>stored in an XMLConfiguration object?
>

>Say for instance my XML file looks like -
>
><database>
>  <tables>
>      <name>users</name>
>      <fields>
>        <field>
>          <name>uid</name>
>          <type>long</type>
>        </field>
>        <field>
>          <name>uid</name>
>          <type>long</type>
>        </field>
>
>.
>.
>.
>.
></database>
>

>Is there an  API which would return a Collection of containing the following
>keynames?
>

>tables.table(0).fields(0).field.name
>
>tables.table(0).fields(1).field.name
>

>If not an API is there a standard way of doing this.

This is not directly supported. The getKeys() method defined in the
Configuration interface only returns the defined keys without indices.

For which purpose do you need these keys? If it is only for a convenient
way of iterating over a hierarchical configuration, the latest code in
SVN contains the method
HierarchicalConfiguration.configurationsAt(String key), which gives you
access to sub structures of the configuration.

If you really need keys with indices, I fear you will have to traverse
the HierarchicalConfiguration.Node objects by yourself and construct the
keys.

HTH
Oliver