Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Sander Verhagen <sa...@sanderverhagen.net> on 2017/11/27 06:33:25 UTC

Commit message for release plugin

Hi group,

I'm working on a legacy application that uses Maven for build, but not for release. For that it has a shell script that, among other things, does a single commit (representing the release) which includes a mix of manual and automated information in the commit message. I'm trying to convert this over to using the Maven Release Plugin. I'm quite familiar with that plugin, so I know that it doesn't typically work like this legacy script does. But in order to give the consumers of this process less change to deal with, I'm wondering if there's any workarounds to include a more-comprehensive commit message for the modified POMs commit (released version) and the tag "commit"? I think I know the answer, but it doesn't hurt to ask (yet) :)

I suppose I could cobble together some error-prone multi-line scmCommentPrefix value. This would be ideal, but the question never got answered: http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/Is-there-a-way-to-provide-to-Maven-a-custom-SVN-log-message-during-release-prepare-td121487.html

Thanks. Best regards, Sander.

Sander Verhagen
[  sander@sanderverhagen.net<ma...@sanderverhagen.net>  ]

RE: Commit message for release plugin

Posted by Sander Verhagen <sa...@sanderverhagen.net>.
Hi Robert,

Thank you for that. Time, my story already ballooning beyond intended, and no company repo to deploy this to, are making that I can't pursue this, and I'm sorry for that. Just to close the loop on this, I'll probably be doing something along the following:

-DscmCommentPrefix="$(cat /tmp/test.txt ; echo -e "\n
release step: ")"

Where test.txt is the file generated by whatever will be left of my legacy script.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards, Sander.

Sander Verhagen
[  sander@sanderverhagen.net  ]

Messages are part of a "component"[1][2] And here is where the message is created[3]

So yes, it is configuration, but not configurable at runtime (yet?) If you want to patch it, now you know the locations.
And if such a patch in interesting/flexible enough for the plugin, we're always interested to add it.

thanks,
Robert

https://github.com/apache/maven-release/blob/master/maven-release-manager/src/main/components-fragment.xml#L155
https://github.com/apache/maven-release/blob/master/maven-release-manager/src/main/components-fragment.xml#L168