Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Jun MA <mj...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/05 16:09:25 UTC

Elegant way to failover controller

Hi,

We are running kafka 0.9.0.1 and I’m looking for a elegant way to failover controller to other brokers. Right now I have to restart the broker to failover it to other brokers. Is there a way to failover controller to a specific broker? Is there a way to failover it without restart the broker?

Thanks,
Jun

Re: Elegant way to failover controller

Posted by Jun MA <mj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Todd,

Thanks for your reply. We are seeing issue that for some topic, the ISR is keep churning, meaning that it will continuously shrink/expand ISR every about 10s. It doesn’t look like the follower cannot catch up with the leader because those topics are inactivate. There is one time that we failover the controller to a broker that has no partitions live on there, and the problem is gone. So I’m wondering if ISR churning is because of controller has too many pressure and cannot correctly coordinate with other brokers?
Another question: should we delete inactive topics or not, is that gonna cause trouble?

Thanks,
Jun

Posted by Todd Palino <tp...@gmail.com>.