Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> on 2007/05/29 17:12:03 UTC

[RESULT][VOTE] Arnuad Simon as committer for Qpid

The following vote has been open for 6 days, Here is the vote result to
add Arnuad
Simon to the Qpid project.

regards
Carl.

Vote results so far
15     +1 votes
1       0
No   -1.

+1 votes
Cliff Schmidt
Paul Frematle
Alan Conway
Kevin Smith
Andrew Stitcher
Rajith Attapattu
Tomas Restrepo
Kim van der Riet
Martin Ritchie
Rupert Smith
Gordon Sim
Robert Grieg
Robert Godfrey
Carl Trieloff
Rafael Schloming

0 vote:
Yoav Shapira

Vote thread -- note two links as I first incorrectly posted without
[vote], added [vote] minutes later...
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-qpid-dev/200705.mbox/%3c46549B64.8090607@redhat.com%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-qpid-dev/200705.mbox/%3c46549AB3.8060302@redhat.com%3e

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Arnuad Simon as committer for Qpid

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
To clear things up, add my +1 to the vote. Arnaud's activity in the
JIRA looks good.

Watch the '0 votes' bit. Normally we take that to mean a +0, so the
immediate question is "Why did Yoav not want to vote +1?", but I think
you meant that he hadn't voted. Plus what Noel just said.

Hen

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Protections?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Gilles Scokart wrote:

> My understanding is that ASF provide us some kind of 'legal'
> protection (I don't know which one) provided that you have
> send your ICLA.  Isn't it a type of contract?

There are several issues, but there is no "contract" between the ASF and
Committers to protect them, although we try to see that all contributors are
protected.  The Apache License is intended to provide a number of
protections.  Likewise, the way in which Apache projects are governed is
designed to provide protection.  There are reasons for the collective
decision making process, and the requirement for group oversight.  Amongst
them is the intent that no one individual would be considered liable for
code.  This is also behind the strong recommendation from the Board that
code not contain author tags.

	--- Noel

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Arnuad Simon as committer for Qpid

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Gilles Scokart wrote:
> My understanding is that ASF provide us some kind of 'legal'
> protection (I don't know which one) provided that you have send your
> ICLA.  Isn't it a type of contract?

Acutally, that would be the AL (which you license your contributions under)
which says "no warranty - don't sue me" and "if you add a warranty, you must
indemnify me".

If they don't accept your license, they have no right to use your code.

> 2007/5/30, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>:
>> Allowing the user to commit, doesn't look like
>> a legal action either, and if 'reception of a commit' is the actual legal
>> act, then every commit must be under the microscope of the PMCs and
>> becomes unmanagable, and the CLA is there to prevent that.

You stumped for the moment :)

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Arnuad Simon as committer for Qpid

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
My understanding is that ASF provide us some kind of 'legal'
protection (I don't know which one) provided that you have send your
ICLA.  Isn't it a type of contract?

Gilles

2007/5/30, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>:
> On Wednesday 30 May 2007 12:42, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > Mmm - bzzz - that's incorrect. You'll recall you signed a legally binding
> > document to become a committer?
>
> Hmmmm... Now when you mention it, it is actually quite interesting.
>
> First of all the ICLA is not a contract (from the little I know of contract
> law there must be 'something for something' exchanged between two parties),
> it is a license. "I" voluntarily provide rights[1] to ASF. It is for ASF to
> use those rights or not to its own discretion. Right?
>
> So, anyone can actually fax that license to the Secretary of ASF, and by
> filing the license in the foundation's records, ASF still has no
> contractual/legal obligation towards the sender of the fax. ASF never enters
> a contract with the committer.
>
> The act of signing and faxing the license to ASF, is not something that the
> PMCs can oversee (other than "don't grant commit rights if no CLA on file"),
> as that is for the individual to do. He/she got the "legal consequence" as
> soon as that document reaches ASF.
>
> So, I honestly fail to see where it becomes a "legal consequence" to the _ASF_
> that a person is provided commit access to a codebase. It is definately not
> in the act of sending the CLA. Allowing the user to commit, doesn't look like
> a legal action either, and if 'reception of a commit' is the actual legal
> act, then every commit must be under the microscope of the PMCs and becomes
> unmanagable, and the CLA is there to prevent that.
>
> Perhaps you can provide a better angle.
>

> [1] Also that IP rights you contribute is yours to do so, and if not it is
> your fault and not ASF's. You effectively indemnify ASF against claims on IP
> rights you have committed to the codebases.
>

> Cheers
> --
> Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Gilles SCOKART

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Arnuad Simon as committer for Qpid

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Arnuad Simon as committer for Qpid

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 May 2007 07:15, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> LEGALLY PPMC votes mean zilch; this is because the board did not charter
>> or compose the PPMC, doesn't decompose it, doesn't even oversee it per say.
>
> And a majority of decisions within a (P)PMC has no legal consequence, and
> hence no need for the Board (or the delegated IPMC) to oversee.
> AFAIK, adding a committer is not a legal action, and IMHO no need for the IPMC
> to make the decision formal.

Mmm - bzzz - that's incorrect.  You'll recall you signed a legally binding
document to become a committer?  Yes - two common actions, releasing code,
and adding committers, are board actions delegated to PMCs.

Bill

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Arnuad Simon as committer for Qpid

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 30 May 2007 07:15, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> LEGALLY PPMC votes mean zilch; this is because the board did not charter
> or compose the PPMC, doesn't decompose it, doesn't even oversee it per say.

And a majority of decisions within a (P)PMC has no legal consequence, and
hence no need for the Board (or the delegated IPMC) to oversee.
AFAIK, adding a committer is not a legal action, and IMHO no need for the IPMC
to make the decision formal.

IMHO, the PPMC is authorative of voting in new committers with the guidance of
the mentors.

Cheers

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Yoav Shapira wrote:
> That's not true.  Practically speaking, mentors may not have time to
> review an issue that other PPMC members have had plenty of time to
> review and vote upon.

That's true, but we are overseeing their -process- not always the
details.  I have a great deal of confidence in voting +1 on a decision
that requires PMC approval, once I've watched a reasoned discussion
between the PPMC members on the list.

> More importantly, what's the point of having a PPMC and having its
> non-mentors vote on anything, if their votes aren't counted?  I guess
> it's a general question: if PPMC legally mean zilch, why have them at
> all?

It's a TLP PMC on training wheels.  We vote at graduation not for a really
cool codebase - there are a cast of thousands of those out there.  We are
actually voting that this group of committers are ready to manage their
own effort in an ASF spirit.

> I always thought a main point of the Incubator was to teach incoming
> committers how Apache works.  And a main point of how Apache works is
> that all committers on a project have equal votes...

yup.  which is why - barring something very specific that I need to fix
in the project - I'll always vote along with the majority in any healthy
incubating PPMC that I mentor.

Bill

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Arnuad Simon as committer for Qpid

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hey,

On 5/29/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> They've put the onus on the IPMC to oversee and conduct all incubating
> projects.  In practice, that means the IPMC puts their weight behind
> the PPMC members' decisions.  Practically speaking, unless something
> is horribly wrong with a proposal/decision, the mentors are going to
> vote with the majority of the PPMC members

That's not true.  Practically speaking, mentors may not have time to
review an issue that other PPMC members have had plenty of time to
review and vote upon.

More importantly, what's the point of having a PPMC and having its
non-mentors vote on anything, if their votes aren't counted?  I guess
it's a general question: if PPMC legally mean zilch, why have them at
all?

I always thought a main point of the Incubator was to teach incoming
committers how Apache works.  And a main point of how Apache works is
that all committers on a project have equal votes...

Yoav

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Arnuad Simon as committer for Qpid

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hey,

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Yoav Shapira wrote:

> On 5/29/07, Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I always thought (and the documentation at
>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html) says PPMC votes are
>> binding.  There were plenty of PPMC +1 votes without my vote.  If I'm
>> wrong, it (a) sucks because other PPMC members don't learn the Apache
>> Way, and we're telling them they don't count, and (b) the
>> documentation link above is out of date.
>
> Having now caught up with a coupe of other threads, I think the
> direction we're going (where only IPMC member votes count, and other
> PPMC committer votes do not) REALLY sucks.  It makes the PPMC vote a
> joke.  I strongly prefer that what the documentation at the above URL
> stay as-is and that process continue to be used.

LEGALLY PPMC votes mean zilch; this is because the board did not charter
or compose the PPMC, doesn't decompose it, doesn't even oversee it per say.

They've put the onus on the IPMC to oversee and conduct all incubating
projects.  In practice, that means the IPMC puts their weight behind
the PPMC members' decisions.  Practically speaking, unless something
is horribly wrong with a proposal/decision, the mentors are going to
vote with the majority of the PPMC members, giving their decision the
force of an ASF board decision about the incubating podling, new
committer, what have you.

SO... for all intents and purposes, the PPMC votes DO matter.  Very much.
It's just that technically, 3 IPMC +1's are needed to ratify their
decision.

And in reality the board is not overseeing each PPMC, but really it's
the effectiveness of the IPMC at managing all of our podlings that they
look at each month :)

Bill

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Arnuad Simon as committer for Qpid

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hey,

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hey,

Re: PPMC guidance on new committers

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 5/30/07, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> Carl Trieloff wrote:
>
> > One more question on this topic as I have also seen differing views from
> > different members of the Incubator PMC on:  "Who can and who can not
> > send the account setup mail to root?"
>
> The view that counts is from
> http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#newcommitter.  Please note: that is not
> an Incubator URL.  These are ASF-wide documents, and everyone should
> become
> familar with the contents under http://www.apache.org/dev.
>
> > Given each new committer vote will have 3 PMC votes, why does a mentor
> > have to send the account setup to root? Why can't the mail to root just
> > contain a link to the vote result with 3 PMC members on it from the
> > general list?
>
> See the above URL.  Technically, it can come from any PMC member, not just
> Mentor.  It ought to come from a Mentor in terms of social interfactions,
> but if your Mentor(s) are not being responsive, any PMC member can do it.
>
> > Some PMC members have the view that any PPMC member should be able to
> > send the account setup to root to learn the system, others say it has
> > to be a mentor.
>
> See above.  Any PMC mamber.
>
> The Incubator is unique in that we are the sole "umbrella" structure
> (there
> are/were others, and the ASF is deep into the process of eliminating
> them).
> Here in the Incubator, we have to navigate a duality: wanting the PPMC as
> much as possible to manage its project with guidance, and at the same time
> having to ensure PMC oversight.  So although only PMC votes are binding,
> and
> some actions require PMC involvement, this is why having enough Mentors on
> project to satisfy voting requirements and other PMC actions is a good
> thing.

Interesting thread.

One thing i noticed is at http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#newcommitter it
says:

"If you are acting on behalf of a project which was accepted for incubation,
please get in touch with the sponsoring PMC and let them take care of
requesting any new accounts."

Do members of the sponsoring PMC have any other special powers over PPMC
members other than this being able to send off the email for new committer
account requests?  Do sponsoring PMC members have binding votes on things
like releases or voting in new commiters?

   ...ant

Re: PPMC guidance on new committers

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
I'd like to discuss one detail of the process for new committers.

On May 30, 2007, at 10:56 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> If the nominee is already an Apache committer on another project,
> the proposer asks the incubator PMC chair to update the
> authorization file to include the nominee as a committer on the
> podling. If the nominee is not already an Apache committer, the
> incubator PMC member CC's both the Incubator PMC and the PPMC when
> sending the necessary e-mails to root. Normally, the incubator PMC
> member is a Mentor on the podling's PPMC but due to unavailability,
> the proposer can ask any incubator PMC member.

Is it really required for the incubator PMC chair to update the
authorization file? Seems like a single point of failure and a
possible source of delay. Would it be ok for *any* incubator PMC
member with write access to the authorization file to perform this
task? There are lots of incubator PMC members with sufficient karma
to do the deed.

The issue is probably not a problem on a "normal" PMC since the
number of committer requests is low. But the incubator is in charge
of dozens of podlings and it seems like this might be a bigger
problem here.

Craig

Craig Russell
DB PMC, OpenJPA PMC
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: PPMC guidance on new committers

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
Thanks Craig. Some suggestions/comments:

On May 31, 2007, at 7:56 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:
> Voting in a new committer
>
> If a developer has contributed a significant number of high-quality
> patches, is interested in continuing the contribution, and has
> demonstrated the ability to work well with others under the Apache
> guidelines, the project might vote to grant that developer commit
> access. See the ASF How it Works document, which explains
> meritocracy and roles.

Rewrite: If someone has made significant contributions and is
interested in continuing to contribute, and works well under apache
guidelines, the project might vote to grant that person commit
access. See the ASF How it Works document, which explains meritocracy
and roles.

[non-code contributions can lead to committership]

> One of the PPMC members should lead the process of accepting a new
> committer. For the purposes of this document, the proposing PPMC
> member is referred to as the proposer, and the proposed committer
> is referred to as the nominee. Discussion of a nominee should take
> place on the podling project's private (PPMC) list [normally it
> would take place on a project's private list]. If there are any
> concerns raised during the discussion, these need to be resolved so
> that there is consensus among the PPMC members as to the
> suitability of the nominee for the project and for Apache.

Add: Many projects adopt an approach where, if there are *any*
concerns, the nomination is simply tabled for a few months. Many
concerns often go away with continued participation.

> After vetting the nominee, the vote can be called on either one of
> the two places listed below (notice the balance between private and
> public lists):
>
> o The podling's private list, with notice posted to the Incubator
> private list. The notice is a separate email forwarding the vote
> email with a cover statement that this vote is underway on the
> podling's private list. This is a good approach if you are not sure
> of getting the required three +1 votes from incubator PMC members
> on the first vote. After completing the vote on the PPMC list, if
> there are not three +1 votes from incubator PMC members, the
> proposer should call a vote on the incubator PMC private list with
> a reference to the archived discussion and vote by the PPMC.

Add: Many projects that have these private votes also have a pro
forma public vote after the private vote completes, or have a welcome
thread on their public mailing list. Those are good because they make
people feel welcome.

> o The podling's developer list, with notice posted to the Incubator
> general list. The notice is a separate email forwarding the vote
> email with a cover statement that this vote is underway on the
> podling's developer list. This is a good approach if you are sure
> of getting the required three +1 votes from incubator PMC members.
> It is embarrassing to have a public vote fail or take a very long
> time because not enough incubator PMC members vote and have to be
> solicited to vote for a committer.

[Just a note here - a lot of IPMC people feel strongly that any
voting on people in public is bad; I'm one of them. However, it is
probably still an active practice somewhere at apache and I don't
think we should quite forbid it, so it should be in this guide.]

Replace: o The podling's developer list, with notice posted to the
Incubator general list. The notice is a separate email forwarding the
vote email with a cover statement that this vote is underway on the
podling's developer list.

Add: The second approach is considered inferior by many, because it
is embarrassing to have a public vote like this fail or take a very
long time. Consider holding a vote on a private mailing list followed
by a public vote after consensus is evident.

> Only votes cast by Incubator PMC members are binding.

Add: However, votes from the PPMC are really important here. The
entire PPMC should show their support for this new committer

> If the vote is positive (three or more binding +1 votes and no
> binding -1 votes), the proposer offers committership to the
> nominee. If the nominee accepts the responsibility of a committer
> for the project,

Replace: "of a committer for the project with "of being a committer
on the project"

> the nominee formally becomes an Apache committer. The proposer then
> asks an Incubator PMC member to follow the documented procedures to
> complete the process.
>
> If the nominee is already an Apache committer on another project,
> the proposer asks the incubator PMC chair

Replace: "incubator PMC chair" with "incubator PMC"

> to update the authorization file to include the nominee as a
> committer on the podling. If the nominee is not already an Apache
> committer, the incubator PMC member CC's both the Incubator PMC and
> the PPMC when sending the necessary e-mails to root. Normally, the
> incubator PMC member is a Mentor on the podling's PPMC but due to
> unavailability,

Replace: "due to unavaiability" with "if the mentors are temporarily
unavailable"

> the proposer can ask any incubator PMC member.
>
> The proposer then directs the new committer to the Apache
> developer's pages, to the Apache Incubator site, and to the
> Incubator Committers Guide for important additional information.

cheers,

Leo

Re: PPMC guidance on new committers

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@apache.org>.
Speaking of being unnecessarily hostile and confrontational, thanks for
bagging Jakarta.

FWIW, The most recent Jakarta committer votes have been conducted in
private, and what you describe is not a current Jakarta practice.

Where are Noel's comments about bad Jakarta practice? I had a quick look
through my recent emails from Noel, but couldn't find any.

Regards,
Dion

On 5/31/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
> >
> > o The podling's developer list, with notice posted to the Incubator
> > general list. The notice is a separate email forwarding the vote email
> > with a cover statement that this vote is underway on the podling's
> > developer list. This is a good approach if you are sure of getting the
> > required three +1 votes from incubator PMC members. It is embarrassing
> > to have a public vote fail or take a very long time because not enough
> > incubator PMC members vote and have to be solicited to vote for a
> > committer.
>
> I'm strongly against this.  If you think it's to spare embarrassment, you
> missed the issue.
>
> The issue is that it is unnecessarily hostile and confrontational to have
> to reject a committer on a public list.  So one of two things happen when
> there is a valid reason to reject the nomination - either the list becomes
> hostile and you alienate a contributor who might be voted in with simply
> another month or two of participation, or the objection goes unstated
> which
> is bad for the health and progress of the project.
>
> Voting on-list is a bad thing for the project; not a bad thing to do to
> the nominee.
>
> This is another artifact from Jakarta practice, which Noel had some
> observations about earlier today :)
>
> Bill

dIon Gillard
Rule #131 of Acquisition: Information is Profit.

Re: PPMC guidance on new committers

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Bill,

Thanks for clarifying your position. This is a bit of a surprise,
since I thought I was just elaborating existing practice as
documented in the ppmc guide.

The section in question had been in the guides/ppmc for as long as
I've been at Apache, and I missed any dialog regarding this issue
earlier.

I'll take another stab at updating the ppmc guidance.

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: PPMC guidance on new committers

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> On May 30, 2007, at 11:37 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>> Craig L Russell wrote:
>>>
>>> o The podling's developer list, with notice posted to the Incubator
>>> general list. The notice is a separate email forwarding the vote email
>>> with a cover statement that this vote is underway on the podling's
>>> developer list. This is a good approach if you are sure of getting the
>>> required three +1 votes from incubator PMC members. It is embarrassing
>>> to have a public vote fail or take a very long time because not enough
>>> incubator PMC members vote and have to be solicited to vote for a
>>> committer.
>>
>> I'm strongly against this.
>
> I'm sorry I can't tell what you are against, even after reading the
> following.
>
> Are you suggesting that we should no ever recommend this as a possible
> option?

Correct.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Bill,

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
As this seems to be an evolving Best Practice, I don't know that when
started a vote recently on two new committers for CXF that all of this was
apparent to me at the time. The current documentation at least
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html seems to indicate that we just
need a net positive of IPMC votes ("If the vote is positive...") and doesn't
seem to explicitly require a private vote*.

The current state of those votes are that we received 15 +1s for each
person, but none of the votes were from PMC members. I'm hoping that someone
can help me clarify what we should do next then. Specifically:
1. Do we need just a net positive of IPMC votes? Or 3 IPMC +1s?
2. We voted on the public list (the two committers both had great
contributions and I have/had no reason to think anyone would be -1 on them)
- even if thats not necessarily the best practice according to this document
(which we can maybe discuss in another thread) - I'm wondering what we
should do now. Should I put the [vote] to private@incubator still with some
descriptions of the things each individual has contributed and why we feel
they deserve commits?
3. Just to ensure I'm straight here - whoever sends in the account request
MUST be an IPMC member, right?

I have already pinged our mentors on the private cxf list, but didn't
receive any more votes yet, so I'm hoping we can get some guidance about
what to do next.
Thanks,

- Dan

* We've certainly done just public votes before and our mentors seemed ok
with it.

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: PPMC guidance on new committers

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Jean,

On May 30, 2007, at 8:11 AM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Hi Carl,
>>
>> On May 30, 2007, at 6:14 AM, Carl Trieloff wrote:
>>
>>> One more question on this topic as I have also seen differing views
>>> from different members of the Incubator PMC on:  "Who can and
>>> who  can
>>> not send the account setup mail to root?"
>>>
>>> Given each new committer vote will have 3 PMC votes, why does a
>>> mentor have to send the account setup to root? Why can't the
>>> mail  to
>>> root just contain a link to the vote result with 3 PMC members
>>> on it
>>> from the general list?
>>
>> This is a question that I believe only infrastructure can answer. The
>> issue is that right now, "root" has to respond only to emails
>> from  PMC
>> chairs, and it's easy to verify that it's really the PMC chair
>> sending
>> the request.
>
> In the general PMC case, "root" responds to requests from PMC members:
> "The project PMC needs to send an email to root at apache.org
> requesting
> a new account to be created" [1]. It says "project PMC" not
> "project PMC
> chair".

Thanks for the correction. I need to remind myself to read the entire
documentation every time, and not rely on memory. ;-)

> But I think the issue is that PPMCs aren't real PMCs,

Right.

> so for the
> Incubator the request should come from a mentor.

I'd prefer to say that the request must come from an incubator pmc
member. But then the ppmc member who is managing the new committer

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Carl,
>
> On May 30, 2007, at 6:14 AM, Carl Trieloff wrote:
>
>> One more question on this topic as I have also seen differing views
>> from different members of the Incubator PMC on:  "Who can and who  can
>> not send the account setup mail to root?"
>>
>> Given each new committer vote will have 3 PMC votes, why does a
>> mentor have to send the account setup to root? Why can't the mail  to
>> root just contain a link to the vote result with 3 PMC members  on it
>> from the general list?
>
> This is a question that I believe only infrastructure can answer. The
> issue is that right now, "root" has to respond only to emails from  PMC
> chairs, and it's easy to verify that it's really the PMC chair  sending
> the request.

In the general PMC case, "root" responds to requests from PMC members:
"The project PMC needs to send an email to root at apache.org requesting
a new account to be created" [1]. It says "project PMC" not "project PMC
chair".

But I think the issue is that PPMCs aren't real PMCs, so for the

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Carl,
>
> On May 30, 2007, at 6:14 AM, Carl Trieloff wrote:
>
>> One more question on this topic as I have also seen differing views
>> from different members of the Incubator PMC on:  "Who can and who can
>> not send the account setup mail to root?"
>>
>> Given each new committer vote will have 3 PMC votes, why does a
>> mentor have to send the account setup to root? Why can't the mail to
>> root just contain a link to the vote result with 3 PMC members on it
>> from the general list?
>
> This is a question that I believe only infrastructure can answer. The
> issue is that right now, "root" has to respond only to emails from PMC
> chairs, and it's easy to verify that it's really the PMC chair sending
> the request.
>

>> Some PMC members have the view that any PPMC member should be able to
>> send the account setup to root to learn the system, others say it has
>> to be a mentor. Cliff has kindly taken care of most of these mail for
>> us so far so this is more theoretical, however having clarity on this
>> in the document would also be good as I have wondered about the
>> reasoning behind this practice. If the mail to root has to be cc-ed
>> to general list and PPMC  and has 3 PMC votes on it then it would
>> seem to me that it could be send by anyone.
>
> If anyone can send the request, then "root" has to do more work by
> verifying the vote thread, following the link provided in the message,
> to make sure that the request is valid.
>
> I agree that it's better for the PPMC members themselves to be able to
> make the request to root, but I'd have to leave it up to
> infrastructure to decide if they can handle it.

Craig,

Thanks, that is a meaningful/practical reason.
Carl.

Re: PPMC guidance on new committers

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Carl,

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 5/30/07, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:
> behind this practice. If the mail to root has to be cc-ed to general
> list and PPMC  and has 3 PMC votes on it then it would seem to me that
> it could be send by anyone.

I can only think of one reason: private@incubator is not accessible to
PPMC members that are not IPMC members. If the commiter acceptance
vote is held in private, there is no way for a PPMC member to provide
a link to that vote.

That said, I think letting PPMC members send the message to root is
great for educational purposes and lets the podling integrate more
into Apache ways.

Martijn

Wicket 1.2.6 contains a very important fix. Download Wicket now!
http://wicketframework.org

RE: PPMC guidance on new committers

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Carl Trieloff wrote:

> One more question on this topic as I have also seen differing views from
> different members of the Incubator PMC on:  "Who can and who can not
> send the account setup mail to root?"

The view that counts is from
http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#newcommitter.  Please note: that is not
an Incubator URL.  These are ASF-wide documents, and everyone should become
familar with the contents under http://www.apache.org/dev.

> Given each new committer vote will have 3 PMC votes, why does a mentor
> have to send the account setup to root? Why can't the mail to root just
> contain a link to the vote result with 3 PMC members on it from the
> general list?

See the above URL.  Technically, it can come from any PMC member, not just a
Mentor.  It ought to come from a Mentor in terms of social interfactions,
but if your Mentor(s) are not being responsive, any PMC member can do it.

> Some PMC members have the view that any PPMC member should be able to
> send the account setup to root to learn the system, others say it has
> to be a mentor.

See above.  Any PMC mamber.

The Incubator is unique in that we are the sole "umbrella" structure (there
are/were others, and the ASF is deep into the process of eliminating them).
Here in the Incubator, we have to navigate a duality: wanting the PPMC as
much as possible to manage its project with guidance, and at the same time
having to ensure PMC oversight.  So although only PMC votes are binding, and
some actions require PMC involvement, this is why having enough Mentors on a

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>>
>> I don't know all the communities around ASF, but what I have seen is
>> that the "acceptance"/"decline" happens after the public vote. Entries
>> to PMCs seems more like "private vote" -> accept/decline -> "welcome"
>> in the communities I know of.
>>
>> Mind you, my own opinion in the matter differs from how things are
>> done, for instance; IMHO either the vote is public OR private, and if
>> the latter then don't have the charade on the public list. That would
>> simplify things at Incubator as well.
>>
>>   1. [Discuss] on private@podling
>>   2. [Vote] on private@podling
>>   3. [Vote] on private@incubator
>>   4. [Accept/Decline] in private mail
>>   5. [Announce/Welcome] in public@podling
>
> +1

Ditto to everything above.  The 2 suggestions, we can point out the 3rd
bullet can be lazy concensus if 3 binding +1's were already cast in the
podling (by incubator PMC members) - that Vote essentially becomes a
Notice to the private@incubator list (for them to raise an objection if
absolutely necessary).  If 72 hours pass with no objection, we can call
them elected by the PMC votes on the podling list.

The other suggestion - you could renumber these based from 0, since the
[discuss] is the one completely optional thing in the list, and the
process of discussing different potential committers should be an ongoing
dialog on the podling's private list :)

Bill

Re: PPMC guidance on new committers

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 June 2007 07:48, Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>> Hi Niclas,
>>
>> There is one issue that still bothers me about your proposed ways of
>> voting. At some point, the nominee has to be asked, and accept, to
>> become a committer. This would have to be after the private votes are
>> done and before the public vote. So after the nominee accepts, they
>> suddenly see a [vote] thread regarding their candidacy on the dev
>> list and wonder what *that* is about.
>>
>> I think a public "welcome to the new committer" would be sufficient
>> "feel good" instead of the phony public vote.
>>

> I don't know all the communities around ASF, but what I have seen is that
> the "acceptance"/"decline" happens after the public vote. Entries to PMCs
> seems more like "private vote" -> accept/decline -> "welcome" in the
> communities I know of.
>
> Mind you, my own opinion in the matter differs from how things are done, for
> instance; IMHO either the vote is public OR private, and if the latter then
> don't have the charade on the public list. That would simplify things at
> Incubator as well.
>
>   1. [Discuss] on private@podling
>   2. [Vote] on private@podling
>   3. [Vote] on private@incubator
>   4. [Accept/Decline] in private mail
>   5. [Announce/Welcome] in public@podling

+1

-> richard

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Niclas,

On Jun 4, 2007, at 6:04 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 June 2007 07:48, Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Hi Niclas,
>>
>> There is one issue that still bothers me about your proposed ways of
>> voting. At some point, the nominee has to be asked, and accept, to
>> become a committer. This would have to be after the private votes are
>> done and before the public vote. So after the nominee accepts, they
>> suddenly see a [vote] thread regarding their candidacy on the dev
>> list and wonder what *that* is about.
>>
>> I think a public "welcome to the new committer" would be sufficient
>> "feel good" instead of the phony public vote.
>
> I don't know all the communities around ASF, but what I have seen
> is that
> the "acceptance"/"decline" happens after the public vote. Entries
> to PMCs
> seems more like "private vote" -> accept/decline -> "welcome" in the
> communities I know of.
>
> Mind you, my own opinion in the matter differs from how things are
> done, for
> instance; IMHO either the vote is public OR private, and if the
> latter then
> don't have the charade on the public list. That would simplify
> things at
> Incubator as well.
>
>   1. [Discuss] on private@podling
>   2. [Vote] on private@podling
>   3. [Vote] on private@incubator
>   4. [Accept/Decline] in private mail
>   5. [Announce/Welcome] in public@podling

This is what I proposed to put into the guide. So at least two of us
agree.

But I also put the "not necessarily recommended" approach into the
guide for completeness. So there should not be any big issues.

Craig

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Niclas,

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Martin Sebor wrote:
> Craig L Russell wrote:
>>>
>>> How could a PPMC participate in a vote on the Incubator PMC's private
>>> list?
>>
>> It cannot, and I don't believe I implied that this would be the case.
>> The idea is that the PPMC, with the help of the Mentors, conducts a
>> discussion and a vote just as they would if they were a TLP PMC. What
>> we're trying to do in the incubator is to give the PPMC the
>> opportunity to act like a PMC and this committer discussion and vote
>> is one of the most important things to learn.
>
> How could they learn anything when some of the most important decisions
> were made behind closed doors (i.e., on the Incubator private list?)

Every ASF member has access to every private list (little known trivia,
but it's pretty obvious when you consider the role of the foundation,
through it's members, is to oversee the whole of the foundation.)

Of course, there's the edge case of PMC members who aren't members, but
let's not rehash that today :)

>>> Even if the PPMC's private list were CC'd on the initial vote
>>> there would be no way for the PPMC members to know whether they were
>>> being CC'd on all the relevant discussions and given sufficient
>>> opportunity to address any concerns.
>>
>> I guess this would be the responsibility of the Mentors to carry any
>> feedback from the incubator PMC vote. During the incubator PMC vote,
>> the Mentors will be active in responding to any concerns of the
>> incubator PMC.
>
> That sounds backwards. Aren't each podling's mentors supposed to
> represent the Incubator PMC on the podling's PPMC? Doesn't the PMC
> trust the mentors to adequately represent them? It seems to me that
> if a mentor has reason to be concerned about a committer vote they
> can bring it up on the Incubator PMC list. Otherwise there should
> be no reason to involve it. If there are Incubator PMC members who
> are concerned about a podling's ability to make these type of
> decisions despite the oversight of its mentors they have the option
> of subscribing to the PPMC list or even becoming mentors themselves.
> Otherwise, it would be hard to argue that they have the insight
> necessary to make these types of fundamental decisions for the PPMC.

Well, this is a two way street.  As members, we represent our podlings
to the PMC, and represent the PMC to our podlings.  Of course every
PMC member is welcome to go back through the public/private archives
themselves, but it's much quicker when the mentors provide a summary.

Bill

Re: PPMC guidance on new committers

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.
Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On May 30, 2007, at 11:07 AM, Martin Sebor wrote:
>
>> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> [...]
>>> So IMHO, best practice for podlings is to hold a [DISCUSS] Joe Bleau
>>> for committer on the PPMC private list, followed by a [VOTE] on the
>>> PPMC private list, and then a formal [VOTE] on the private incubator
>>> PMC list with references to the discussion and vote of the PPMC.
>>> [Only the final vote is binding.]
>>
>> How could a PPMC participate in a vote on the Incubator PMC's private
>> list?
>
> It cannot, and I don't believe I implied that this would be the case.
> The idea is that the PPMC, with the help of the Mentors, conducts a
> discussion and a vote just as they would if they were a TLP PMC. What
> we're trying to do in the incubator is to give the PPMC the opportunity
> to act like a PMC and this committer discussion and vote is one of the
> most important things to learn.

How could they learn anything when some of the most important decisions
were made behind closed doors (i.e., on the Incubator private list?)

>> Even if the PPMC's private list were CC'd on the initial vote
>> there would be no way for the PPMC members to know whether they were
>> being CC'd on all the relevant discussions and given sufficient
>> opportunity to address any concerns.
>
> I guess this would be the responsibility of the Mentors to carry any
> feedback from the incubator PMC vote. During the incubator PMC vote, the
> Mentors will be active in responding to any concerns of the incubator PMC.

That sounds backwards. Aren't each podling's mentors supposed to
represent the Incubator PMC on the podling's PPMC? Doesn't the PMC
trust the mentors to adequately represent them? It seems to me that
if a mentor has reason to be concerned about a committer vote they
can bring it up on the Incubator PMC list. Otherwise there should
be no reason to involve it. If there are Incubator PMC members who
are concerned about a podling's ability to make these type of
decisions despite the oversight of its mentors they have the option
of subscribing to the PPMC list or even becoming mentors themselves.
Otherwise, it would be hard to argue that they have the insight
necessary to make these types of fundamental decisions for the PPMC.

Martin

Re: PPMC guidance on new committers

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Martin,

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.
Craig L Russell wrote:
[...]
> So IMHO, best practice for podlings is to hold a [DISCUSS] Joe Bleau for
> committer on the PPMC private list, followed by a [VOTE] on the PPMC
> private list, and then a formal [VOTE] on the private incubator PMC list
> with references to the discussion and vote of the PPMC. [Only the final
> vote is binding.]

How could a PPMC participate in a vote on the Incubator PMC's private
list? Even if the PPMC's private list were CC'd on the initial vote

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Dims,

It wasn't completely clear from my message, but I intended this to be
a choice of the PPMC (with guidance by the Mentors) to hold the votes
either in private or in public.

I'd like to get others' input as well on whether the guidance here
should be

1. private vote on PPMC then private vote on incubator PMC

2. public vote on dev then public vote on incubator general

3. PPMC/Mentors decide which of 1 or 2 to follow. This might be a
podling "policy" or decided on each [DISCUSS] of a new committer.

Craig

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
On 30/05/07, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
> Hi Yoav,
>
> On May 30, 2007, at 6:38 AM, Yoav Shapira wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 5/30/07, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
> >> Personally, if I saw a vote on the incubator private PMC list for a
> >> new committer on a podling, including references to the PPMC
> >> discussion and vote, I would be inclined to vote for that committer.
> >> On the other hand, if I saw a vote on the incubator private PMC list
> >> that just offered the usual so-and-so is a great contributor, I'd
> >> have no real way to see if the PPMC was really learning its job.
> >
> > You're not the first one to have mentioned this approach.  The thing
> > that troubles me in this approach is that it distorts the meaning of
> > +1/0/+1 votes with respect to committership.
> >
> > To me, a +1 vote on someone becoming a committer means I've personally
> > reviewed the person's contributions (in terms of code, mailing list
> > activity, etc.) in decent depth.
>
> In a TLP PMC, I agree that a +1 should mean due diligence. PMC
> members should be aware of contributions made by non-committers, and
> the [DISCUSSION] before the [VOTE] should uncover any issues.
>
> Which implies that due diligence really should be done during
> [DISCUSS] and not wait until [VOTE].
> >
> > It does NOT mean I trust a bunch of other people to form my opinion
> > for me.  If, for whatever reason (for example a long holiday weekend),
> > I haven't had a chance to look at the person's history, and a vote is
> > required right now, a 0 seems more correct.
>
> For a TLP PMC, I agree. But if there is some reason to delay the
> vote, I don't have any trouble with an incubator PMC member
> requesting an extension.
> >
> > Voting +1 explicitly without due diligence just so someone can reach a
> > 3 +1 bar seems wrong to me.  I guess there do exist other options,
> > like asking for the vote to be open longer, saying explicitly that my
> > +1 is for the process and the PMC without reviewing the person, and
> > others.  So maybe this is soluble and OK after all.  I'm just thinking
> > out loud here...
>
> My main argument here is that the incubator is not a normal project.
> The role of the incubator PMC is to guide podlings in the way of
> Apache. And a big part of the way is learning how to grant commit
> privileges to people who demonstrate to the project that they deserve
> it.
>
> I'm also very aware that most incubator PMC members simply don't have
> the time to perform due diligence on requests for commit access for
> podlings. So what I'm proposing allows incubator PMC members to
> perform due diligence if they want to, or simply provide oversight of
> the PPMC's actions on new committers.
>
> Craig
>

> > Yoav

> Craig Russell
> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

What we need is two public lists that can be referenced so that the
incubator PMC can be satisfied that the podling is adhering to policy.

To adapt the suggestion by Niclas, I would say that step 3 be
performed on the public incubator list. As the private@podling list is
also private a link cannot be made to the discussion so the three
active mentors of the project are the only ones that would be able to
approve the process carried out by the PPMC (Unless IPMC members can
browse the private lists). It is unlikely that this process would be
denied on the public list as the three mentors should have addressed
any problems on the private@podling list. This of course requires that
all podlings have three mentors and that they are actively guiding
their podling, not an unreasonable request IMHO.

This would then give the PPMC authority to carry out the [Vote] on the
public@podling list  and a reference to include on the email to root
to verify that the work done on private@podling is in line with 'The
Apache Way' even though it cannot be referenced.

  1. [Discuss] on private@podling
  2. [Vote] on private@podling
 3. [Vote] [Process Approval] on public@incubator
  4. [Vote] in public@podling

Regards
--
Martin Ritchie

Re: PPMC guidance on new committers

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Yoav,

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On May 30, 2007, at 10:00 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Craig Russell wrote:
>
>> I'd like to open the discussion on the "best practice" referred to by
>> the guides/ppmc because I'm not convinced that best practice for a
>> TLP is best practice for the incubator.
>
>> Personally, if I saw a vote on the incubator private PMC list for a
>> new committer on a podling, including references to the PPMC
>> discussion and vote, I would be inclined to vote for that committer.
>
>> On the other hand, if I saw a vote on the incubator private PMC list
>> that just offered the usual so-and-so is a great contributor, I'd
>> have no real way to see if the PPMC was really learning its job.
>
> This is mostly a limitation of being a non-ASF Member.  ASF Members
> have
> access to all of the mailing list archives, including private lists.

Actually, as an incubator pmc member, I don't necessarily want to
mine the archives. I want to see that the PPMC members have expressed
their opinions on the candidates.

>> So IMHO, best practice for podlings is to hold a [DISCUSS] Joe Bleau
>> for committer on the PPMC private list, followed by a [VOTE] on the
>> PPMC private list, and then a formal [VOTE] on the private incubator
>> PMC list with references to the discussion and vote of the PPMC.
>
>> Alternatively, hold a [DISCUSS] Joe Bleau for committer on the PPMC
>> private list, followed by a [VOTE] on the dev list, and then a formal
>> [VOTE] on the incubator list with references to the discussion and
>> vote of the community.
>
> The only difference being the formal vote being on the open list,
> right?

Right.

> Do you expect people to vote -1 in public, or do you expect the
> PPMC not
> to hold the vote at all if people express negative views?

I expect that during the [DISCUSS] part of the process, if anyone
expresses concerns about the suitability of the candidate, then these
concerns should be thoroughly resolved before further action is
taken. So in this scenario, no one ever has to vote -1 in public.

> And do you want
> negative views about a Committer to be maintained in perpetuity
> around the
> Internet?  I've certainly seen that raised as a concern,
> particularly as
> more and more employers mine the Internet for information about
> potential
> employees.

I share that concern. If serious objections are raised during
[DISCUSSION] then the PPMC member proposing the candidate needs to
either resolve the objections or wait some time before trying to
propose the candidate again. Either way avoids embarrassment.

Craig

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Craig Russell wrote:

> I'd like to open the discussion on the "best practice" referred to by
> the guides/ppmc because I'm not convinced that best practice for a
> TLP is best practice for the incubator.

> Personally, if I saw a vote on the incubator private PMC list for a
> new committer on a podling, including references to the PPMC
> discussion and vote, I would be inclined to vote for that committer.

> On the other hand, if I saw a vote on the incubator private PMC list
> that just offered the usual so-and-so is a great contributor, I'd
> have no real way to see if the PPMC was really learning its job.

This is mostly a limitation of being a non-ASF Member.  ASF Members have
access to all of the mailing list archives, including private lists.

> So IMHO, best practice for podlings is to hold a [DISCUSS] Joe Bleau
> for committer on the PPMC private list, followed by a [VOTE] on the
> PPMC private list, and then a formal [VOTE] on the private incubator
> PMC list with references to the discussion and vote of the PPMC.

> Alternatively, hold a [DISCUSS] Joe Bleau for committer on the PPMC
> private list, followed by a [VOTE] on the dev list, and then a formal
> [VOTE] on the incubator list with references to the discussion and
> vote of the community.

The only difference being the formal vote being on the open list, right?

Do you expect people to vote -1 in public, or do you expect the PPMC not
to hold the vote at all if people express negative views?  And do you want

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Yoav Shapira wrote:

> I voted +0, not having had time to review the proposed committer's
> contributions.

+1 != +0

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hey,

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Rajith Attapattu wrote:

> Now that we have 3 votes from IPMC, can we please proceed with the accout
> creation for arnuad?

Yes.  Please have one of your Mentors follow through on the account request.

> Had Yoav enough time to familliarize himself with the project, I am sure
he
> would have voted +1 for arnuad.

I won't speak for Yoav, but of those of us who were reviewing the issue
yesterday, any of us would have voted +1.

	--- Noel

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Arnuad Simon as committer for Qpid

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Noel,

Now that we have 3 votes from IPMC, can we please proceed with the accout
creation for arnuad?
Thanks Henry for giving the +1 for this thread. Besides Yoav has +0 so I
guess there are no objections at all.

Arnaud has been very active in the last two months and he throughly deserves
to be a committer.
Since James dropped off as a mentor we didn't even have 3 mentors until Yoav
stepped up a few days ago.
Had Yoav enough time to familliarize himself with the project, I am sure he
would have voted +1 for arnuad.

Regards,

Rajith

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.