Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1996/06/11 15:08:08 UTC

Re: mirror sites

> I also need to start parallelizing delivery of apache-announce mail, 24
> hours later and it's still distributing the message, with about 400 of
> 3500 people to go.
>
> 	Brian

SmartList

Re: mirror sites

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@hotwired.com>.
In article <ho...@paris.ics.uci.edu>,
Roy T. Fielding <ne...@hyperreal.com> wrote:
>Dean Gaudet wrote:
>> SmartList and bulk_mailer perform no checkpointing
>
>Ummm, are you sure about that?

Yep, latest version is still 3.11pre4 right?  At least that's all I see
on the ftp sites.  If you dig through choplist (in multigram.c) really
carefully you'll see it load the recipients into memory, sort them,
then bust them up while it does a fork()/exec() of sendmail with no
other system operations going on.

I wish it wasn't so obfuscated or I'd actually attempt to add the
checkpointing.  That's the only thing stopping me from using it.

Dean

Re: mirror sites

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@hotwired.com>.
In article <ho...@sierra.zyzzyva.com>,
Randy Terbush  <ne...@hyperreal.com> wrote:
>SmartList

... doesn't reliably deliver in the face of machine failures/shutdown/etc.
SmartList and bulk_mailer perform no checkpointing -- everything is
kept in RAM while they work.  I always feel like I have to mention
this... I suppose it doesn't matter for a low volume list -- you can
just resend the message with an apology.  But I'd hardly give them any
general recommendation.

For large mailings which I want to go out without a hitch I use bulk_mailer
to another queue directory.  Then when it succeeds I start running sendmail
on that other queue.

Dean