Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/21 03:28:42 UTC

HBase hackathon, 0.21 edition

Hi all,

Stumbleupon would like to host and sponsor a HBase hackathon for 0.21.
 Features, design, coding would be the idea. We are willing to sponsor
several days, perhaps a Friday-Sunday, including space (either at our
office in SF, or a location nearby), and food.

We need to get an idea of several things:
- How many people might come.
- When exactly.

The initial thoughts are either early August, 7-9th, or later like Aug
28-30th.  The 2 interior weekends in August I am out of town, so we'll
have to have a different day.

Obviously this would be a SF-based event. We would really like all
commiters to make it, so if you have any special needs, please let me
know.

Thanks!
-ryan

Re: HBase hackathon, 0.21 edition

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
I know... anyways if I'm actually able to be there it would be way
better August 28-30th for me.

J-D

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Jim Kellerman (POWERSET)" <Ji...@microsoft.com>.
+1

---
Jim Kellerman, Powerset (Live Search, Microsoft Corporation)

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
I like the idea of a HUG preceding the hackathon. We could spend the
first day with people using/exploring HBase starting with a
presentation then maybe having workshops like "building a small HBase
cluster", "table design", etc. With all the committers around we could
do a lot. In that case I think we would need more than one sponsor tho
:P

J-D

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Yes, VLDB is the reason I am going to Lyon, as an observer, affiliation
Trend Micro. Anything in particular you want me to look in on or someone
you would like me to talk to?

   - Andy

________________________________
Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Andrew:

Posted by Nitay <ni...@gmail.com>.
Sounds cool. I'm down.

RE: [LIKELY JUNK]Re: [LIKELY JUNK]HBase hackathon, 0.21 edition

Posted by "Ding, Hui" <hu...@sap.com>.
Got it, thanks!
Would love to come.

Thx!

Posted by Ski Gh3 <sk...@gmail.com>.
oh great! love to attend.
thx!

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
The last hackathon also produced the HBase connector for Cascading
courtesy Chris Wensel, and if I recall correctly gelled the strategies
for the new client API and KeyValue stuff, and Zookeeper integration,
along with some initial coding or exploration in those directions.
Lots of good stuff. High expectations in place for the next... :-)

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.