Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org> on 2006/12/04 17:49:14 UTC

[VOTE] Moving the wicket-extension's repeater package to core

See  thread  [1]« ListView  in  a <form>  sucks »  for  background
information on this.

As stated  by Eelco, the  idea is: « to move  at least a  bunch of
[2]repeaters to the core project  and give them more visibility by
replacing a  couple of the  list view  based examples we  have now
with  repeaters. »

Some citations:

        « It is  very  easy  to miss  those  great
          extensions, just because they are  not in core. »

        « ListView is fragile »

        « Regardless of the problems people have with list views -
          most think the repeaters work better anyway. »

So please cast your votes:

[ ] Leave ListView in core unchanged and let the repeaters forever
    in the extensions

[ ] Move at least a bunch of repeaters from wicket-extensions into
    core and deprecate ListView
--
     Jean-Baptiste Quenot
aka  John Banana   Qwerty

[1] http://www.nabble.com/ListView-in-a-%3Cform%3E-sucks-tf2717109.html#a7575558
[2] http://wicketframework.org/wicket-extensions/apidocs/wicket/extensions/markup/html/repeater/RepeatingView.html

Re: [VOTE] Moving the wicket-extension's repeater package to core

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
* Eelco Hillenius:

> Though  we don't  have to  actually deprecate  ListView. I think
> just a couple  of @see tags and some explanation  that you might
> prefer a  repeater when  working with  database would  be enough
> imo.

We  should at  least deprecate  ListView.setReuseItems(true), used
when a ListView is nested in a form.
--
     Jean-Baptiste Quenot
aka  John Banana   Qwerty

Re: [VOTE] Moving the wicket-extension's repeater package to core

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> On 12/4/06, Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Martijn Dashorst wrote:
>> > I don't like to deprecate listview. It has enough good usecases to
>> > keep it and promote its use. And furthermore, I would like to know
>> > *which* repeaters move to core...
>> >
>> > Therefore: -1 for the proposal (either outcome)
>>
>> Is this a formal veto for the whole thing, or would you accept it if we
>> move some repeaters to core and don't deprecate ListView?
>
> As the proposal currently stands it is a veto. If the proposal is
> amended/changed, I will change my vote. The current proposal just
> doesn't leave much room for the middle way.
> In this particular case, I found the premise bad: ListView does not
> suck, and should remain in core.

Right, but what haven't you stated this when voting -1? That would have
helped people realize that another approach is possible, especially when
it's as simple as not deprecating ListView.

> I really don't like votes where halfway through the voting subjects
> change. This is a horrible precedent, and clouds the meaning of
> earlier votes. On the other hand, starting 5 vote threads to get one
> thing fixed is also not helpful and just as bad.

I don't see it like that. A vote was started, whose propositions led you
to raise a veto. Now although a veto blocks the modification, it should
be justified [1] to allow further discussion and alternative proposals,
i.e. trigger the community dynamics. Such alternative proposals can then
lead to a new vote, which is what happened here.

My 0.02 €

Sylvain

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#Veto

--
Sylvain Wallez - http://bluxte.net

Re: Re: Re: Re: [VOTE] Moving the wicket-extension's repeater package to core

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 12/4/06, Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> then you shouldve stated so! :)

He's baaaaackk! :D

Martijn

--
for <a href="http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/stuff/wicket">Wicket</a>
at the <a href="http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/">Best Stuff in

Re: Re: Re: [VOTE] Moving the wicket-extension's repeater package to core

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
then you shouldve stated so! :)

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
> I would like to know
> *which* repeaters move to core...

That could be another proposal for which we need some to time to
settle which ones. The point of this vote is to get clear whether we
want to keep the things as they are, or that we want to put some more
weight on the repeaters instead of listview.

Eelco

Re: Re: [VOTE] Moving the wicket-extension's repeater package to core

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

> [ ] Leave ListView in core unchanged and let the repeaters forever
>     in the extensions
>
> [X] Move at least a bunch of repeaters from wicket-extensions into
>     core (and deprecate ListView) <== skip that

-igor

Re: [VOTE] Moving the wicket-extension's repeater package to core

Posted by Matej Knopp <ma...@knopp.sk>.
Well, just to specify my vote closely, I'm for adding DataView and all
it's superclasses (RefreshingView, ...) in the core.

And I'm against making ListView deprecated.

-Matej

Posted by Matej Knopp <ma...@knopp.sk>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
Here's my non-binding +1: