Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Casper Bang <ca...@jbr.dk> on 2008/11/28 21:07:08 UTC

Prototyping mode: Automatic markup generation

While I understand the Wicket authors do not want a magic framework, I
wonder if anyone else than me ever wished for a "development mode" or
option on the error page when protyping and receiving the very typical
"org.apache.wicket.WicketRuntimeException: The component(s) below failed
to render. A common problem is that you have added a component in code
but forgot to reference it in the markup".

Would it not be possible for Wicket to simply ignore the markup aspect
if so instructed, and generate the required markup on-the-fly from the
Java tree? Perhaps it's because I am new, but I sure run into that
wicket message a lot. Anyway, just a though.

/Casper

Re: Prototyping mode: Automatic markup generation

Posted by Sébastien Piller <pi...@hmcrecord.ch>.
IMO it is not required. This kind of error appears mostly with
beginners, or during early phase of development: it doesn't happens
anymore after.

For me, the behavior of wicket with that error is quite good. No need
for some magical generation of markup.

This may lead to wrong use of the framework, too (user may think that
they don't have to write any markup, and obviously this is not the case)

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
What kind of markup? Div? <input

Or do you mean we should generate a special span tag with the text
"this component 'path' doesnt have markup"

Problem is that we know that only at the very end of the full page render