Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ricardo Martin <rm...@chamsyspr.com> on 2011/10/17 01:03:55 UTC

Service not starting due to java.lang.NoSuchMethodError

Hi there

I have a Centos 5.7 server with JRE 1.6.0u27, tomcat 6.0.33 & postgresql
9.1.  Every time I start the tomcat service it fails with the following
message in the log:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.naming.NamingContextBindingsEnumeration.<init>(Ljava/util/Iterato
r;Ljavax/naming/Context;)V
        at
org.apache.naming.NamingContext.listBindings(NamingContext.java:391)

This is a fresh install.  Is there I have missing?

Thanks for your help, Ricardo

Re: Service not starting due to java.lang.NoSuchMethodError

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/10/17 Ricardo Martin <rm...@chamsyspr.com>:
> Thanks Charles.
>
> It was actually a real Tomcat version downloaded from tomcat.apache.org.
> The only detail I forgot to mention (not sure if it's important), is that
> this Centos 5.7 is installed in a virtual space using VMware Player.
>
> Ricardo

Something is screwed in your installation, and we do not know what.
(You are not providing enough details).

Maybe you did not specify CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE variables
when starting Tomcat, or they had wrong values.

RE: Service not starting due to java.lang.NoSuchMethodError

> I have a Centos 5.7 server with JRE 1.6.0u27, tomcat 6.0.33 &
> postgresql 9.1.

How was Tomcat installed?  Is it a real Tomcat downloaded ftom
tomcat.apache.org, or a 3rd-party repackaged version?

> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
> org.apache.naming.NamingContextBindingsEnumeration.
> <init>(Ljava/util/Iterator;Ljavax/naming/Context;)V
>         at
> org.apache.naming.NamingContext.listBindings(NamingContext.java:391)

That certainly appears to be a broken Tomcat installation.  Suggest you
remove what you've got, then reinstall from tomcat.apache.org.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.

RE: Service not starting due to java.lang.NoSuchMethodError

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.