Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Vitor M. Barbosa" <vi...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/19 20:07:03 UTC

Re: How to change data subdirectory in Solr

My bosses are insisting on not changing our current Lucene folders.
So I have to get back on this, can I overwrite Solr's CoreAdminHandler (or
other classes) to change the way it'll look for the index directory?

Re: How to change data subdirectory in Solr

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Frankly, that seems like a heck of a lot of work relative to moving the
indexes. _why_ do your bosses insist on this? And have you made it
explicit to them that
1> this will cost considerable time to develop that you could spend
     putting in _useful_ features.
2> you'll have to maintain this code through any subsequent releases
3> you will make mistakes that you'll have to track down, using yet
     more time you could spend doing something _useful_.

Unless they have legitimate reasons why wasting your time conforming to
this is less of a problem than just moving the directories, I'd really push
back on this requirement.

Now, all that said, there may be a _ton_ of other things in your ecosystem that
make this worth the effort, but unless you are explicit with them
about the costs,
they can't make a rational decision....

Best
Erick