Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Austin Chungath <au...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/03 08:11:19 UTC

Best practice to migrate HDFS from 0.20.205 to CDH3u3

Hi,
I am migrating from Apache hadoop 0.20.205 to CDH3u3.
I don't want to lose the data that is in the HDFS of Apache hadoop
0.20.205.
How do I migrate to CDH3u3 but keep the data that I have on 0.20.205.
What is the best practice/ techniques to do this?

Thanks & Regards,
Austin

Re: Best practice to migrate HDFS from 0.20.205 to CDH3u3

Posted by Austin Chungath <au...@gmail.com>.
$DuplicationException: Invalid input, there are duplicated files in the
sources: hftp://ub13:50070/tmp/Rtmp1BU9Kb/file6abc6ccb6551/_logs/history,
hftp://ub13:50070/tmp/Rtmp3yCJhu/file1ca96d9331/_logs/history

Any idea what is the problem here?
They are different files how are they conflicting?

Thanks & Regards

Posted by Adam Faris <af...@linkedin.com>.
Hi Austin,

Posted by Austin Chungath <au...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Adam,

Posted by Adam Faris <af...@linkedin.com>.
Hi Austin,

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
things to check

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Best practice to migrate HDFS from 0.20.205 to CDH3u3

Posted by Austin Chungath <au...@gmail.com>.
ok that was a lame mistake.

Posted by Austin Chungath <au...@gmail.com>.
Thanks,

So I decided to try and move using distcp.

$ hadoop distcp hdfs://localhost:54310/tmp hdfs://localhost:8021/tmp_copy
12/05/07 14:57:38 INFO tools.DistCp: srcPaths=[hdfs://localhost:54310/tmp]
12/05/07 14:57:38 INFO tools.DistCp: destPath=hdfs://localhost:8021/tmp_copy

Posted by Michel Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Ok... So riddle me this...
I currently have a replication factor of 3.
I reset it to two.

What do you have to do to get the replication factor of 3 down to 2?
Do I just try to rebalance the nodes?

The point is that you are looking at a very small cluster.
You may want to start the be cluster with a replication factor of 2 and then when the data is moved over, increase it to a factor of 3. Or maybe not.

I do a distcp to. Copy the data and after each distcp, I do an fsck for a sanity check and then remove the files I copied. As I gain more room, I can then slowly drop nodes, do an fsck, rebalance and then repeat.

Re: Problem with cluster

Posted by Ravi Prakash <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pat,

20.205 is the stable version before 1.0. 1.0 is not substantially different
than 0.20. Any reasons you don't wanna use it?

I don't think "occasional HDFS corruption" is a known issue. That would be,
umm... lets just say pretty severe. Are you sure you've configured it
properly?

Your task is killing the Hadoop daemons? :-o You might wanna check with the
developers of Mahout / bixo if that is a known issue. Obviously it should
not happen. Hadoop daemons are known to be quite long lasting (many months
atleast), and there are ways you can setup security to prevent tasks from
doing that (but guessing you have 2 nodes, maybe you don't want to invest
in that)

The message is displayed when the DN is trying to shut down but cannot
because it is waiting on some (apparently 1) thread.

HTH
Ravi

Problem with cluster

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michel Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Austin Chungath <au...@gmail.com>.
Yeah I know :-)

Posted by Michel Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Austin Chungath <au...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prashant Kommireddi <pr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Austin Chungath <au...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Best practice to migrate HDFS from 0.20.205 to CDH3u3

Posted by Austin Chungath <au...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the suggestions,

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--