Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by steve silvers <st...@hotmail.com> on 2004/10/13 17:13:34 UTC

Modperl setup Linux (which version)?

I'm currently building a system at home to start learning modperl, and would
like to get your advice as to what version and flavor of Linux you
recommend. ie: RedHat, SuSe, etc... Please state the Linux, Apache, and
modperl version.

Thank you
Steve

Re: Modperl setup Linux (which version)?

Posted by Stef1 <St...@pandava.com>.
Frank Wiles wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:47:51 +0100 (BST)
>Martin Moss <ma...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>

>>I would disagree about learning mod perl 2 straight
>>away. But, I guess it depends on why you are learning
>>it.
>>
>>I haven't found anybody using modperl 2.0 yet. (but
>>that's not a reason not to use it) I just figure that
>>there will be a lot of work over the next 5 years for
>>people who can migrate mod perl 1 to mod perl 2......
>>
>>Better to start at the beginning with mod perl 1??
>>

>  While I think the differences between mp1 and mp2 are very slight
>  for an experienced mod_perl developer, they are just enough to
>  cause some serious confusion for the less experienced.
>
>  I do agree that people will probably still be porting from mp1 to
>  mp2 in 5 years, I don't think that is a compelling reason to start
>  with mp1.  Much like there are still people using Perl 4 code in
>  production, but I wouldn't take that a reason to not use Perl 5.
>
>  Also, all major Linux distributions that I am aware of are now
>  coming with Apache 2, not Apache 1.
>
>  I'm using mp2, so you now know at least one person! :) And I'm
>  sure I'm not the only one.

I'm also using mp2 already for a long time for many different projects.
The biggest one is a full featured e-commerce site at
http://www.pandava.com/bitsmarket (sorry, only in Dutch and French)
The company that's using this e-commerce package makes between 40 and
45% of their turnover through this e-shop (so, it's very important that
it is stable !). We have had no major problems with mp2.
Info about this package can be found on
http://www.maygill.com/maygill_cms?200 (in English), and this site is of
course also running on mp2.

I've never used mp1 (the site above was in perl/cgi before, and I
completely rewrote it).

My suggestion: start learning directly in mp2, and then you won't have
any hassle later migrating. The only difficult thing I encountered were
the docs, but I suppose that's already a lot better then a year ago.

Stef

Re: Modperl setup Linux (which version)?

Posted by Jon Forrest <fo...@ce.berkeley.edu>.
Stas Bekman wrote:

> Hmm, but Jon, you didn't followup on this email:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.mod-perl/15146
> I don't remember seeing your lib/Apache/BuildConfig.pm as I've asked for.

That's true. This is my fault. I had to make some
progress on getting Request Tracker working so I've
stopped attempting to build mod_perl2 for now.

I'll try to get back to mod_perl2 as soon as I can.
When I do, I'll grab the latest CVS sources.

Cordially,

Jon Forrest
Computer Resources Manager
Civil and Environmental Engineering Dept.
205 Davis Hall
Univ. of Calif., Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-1710
510-642-0904
forrest@ce.berkeley.edu

Re: Modperl setup Linux (which version)?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>.
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:03:46 -0700
Jon Forrest <fo...@ce.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Maybe others know something that I don't know,
> but I was unable to build mod_perl2 with apache 2
> on either Mandrake 10.0 or Fedora Core 2. I sent
> several bug reports to this list summarizing
> the problems.
>
> Since my goal was to build Request Tracker, and
> their documentation strongly advises against
> mod_perl2, I decided to forget about this for
> now and use mod_perl1 which builds and runs just
> fine on these platforms.

  I just built the current mp2 release on Fedora Core 2 just
  last week without any trouble whatsoever.  It might be worth taking
  another look to see if the problem has been corrected.

  One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes distributions have a
  version of Apache 2 that is too old to be used with the current
  mp2 release.  This would require upgrading Apache to a version newer
  than what the distribution itself offers.

Re: Modperl setup Linux (which version)?

Posted by Martin Moss <ma...@btopenworld.com>.
Not for Mp2 but did you come across this link?

http://www.brtnet.org/linux/rtinstall.htm

Marty

Posted by Martin Moss <ma...@btopenworld.com>.

>   I'm using mp2, so you now know at least one
> person! :) And I'm
>   sure I'm not the only one.

My first Mp2 person! Pleased to meet you:-)
The argument about perl 4 and 5 has given me pause for
thought......

I must say, (working for a site with 5.005 having
developed on 5.6 and 5.8 for a good few years) I do
find it incredibly frustrating having to do long
winded things in older versions than what I'm used
to...

Marty

Re: Modperl setup Linux (which version)?

Posted by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>.

Posted by Martin Moss <ma...@btopenworld.com>.

Posted by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>.

Posted by Martin Moss <ma...@btopenworld.com>.
I've just built a redhat 9 box with apache 1.3.31 and
mod_ssl mod_php and mod_perl (latest versions).

the flavour of linux is a matter of personal
preference at home. I like redhat, it's usually the
least hassle to do anything. I find building from src
reaps dividends and helps you keep on top of things
and have a better understanding of your system. (don't
use the binary rpms, unless you have a specific
reason, like installing an intel compiled mysql for
speed gains)

Anyway, I did the whole lot very, very painlessly
thanks to William McKee's previous post where he
guided me to :-

http://www.apachetoolbox.com/

I strongly recommend it, I've had no hassles at all.

Once you've got that far, I'd recommend getting hold
of the Mod_perl developer's Cookbook (there's online
instances if you look hard enough, but It's well worth
buying).

One thing I would do is recommend you read the
following link..

http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/modperl/docs/tutorials/index.html

The large scale tutorial, whilst overkill for what you
want, is still a valid model for small scale stuff.
(just skip the hardware section and probably the
caching, although that is worth doing eventually).

The basic jist of seperating front end html producing
code from HTML (via templating, I use
Template::Toolkit (as do most company's I've worked
for)), and seperating Database accessing code from
front end code (by creating modules/classes) is also
valid, and worthwhile whether you're doing small or
large scale websites...

Good luck!

Marty