Posted to dev@whirr.apache.org by Tom White <to...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/22 02:02:52 UTC

[VOTE] Release Whirr version 0.3.0-incubating

This is the first incubator release for Apache Whirr, version 0.3.0-incubating.

It fixes the following issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12315487&styleName=Html&projectId=12311110

*** Please download, test and vote by January 24 2011.

(I know there may be some issues with HBase - I'd be grateful if
someone can test the service to see if it works well enough to
release.)

Note that we are voting upon the source (tag), binaries are provided
for convenience.

Source and binary files:
http://people.apache.org/~tomwhite/whirr-0.3.0-incubating-candidate-0

Maven staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachewhirr-065

The tag to be voted upon:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/whirr/tags/release-0.3.0-incubating

Whirr's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/whirr/dist/KEYS

Note that the Incubator PMC needs to vote upon the release after a
successful PPMC vote before any release can be made official.

Cheers
Tom

Re: [VOTE] Release Whirr version 0.3.0-incubating

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
+1

I checked signatures and ran through the quick start document.

Tom

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Tom White <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>> -1. RAT is failing for me, otherwise things look good (tests and such).
>>>
>>> $ mvn apache-rat:check
>>> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
>>> org.apache.rat:apache-rat-plugin:0.6:check (default-cli) on project
>>> whirr-cli: Too many unapproved licenses: 1 -> [Help 1]
>>
>> I just tried running RAT and got the same error, but it is for a whirr
>> log file (cli/whirr.log), which is produced after running unit tests:
>> When I remove this file then RAT passes, so it should be OK? We should
>> probably have RAT ignore log files though.
>>

> I see, in that case +1. I deleted that log file and rat passed. Why
> aren't all the log files going into the 'target' directory? Perhaps
> that would be a better way to resolve it.

I've created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-217 to fix
this in the next release.

>>> also I notice that in the shaded cli jar meta-inf/dependencies and
>>> meta-inf/notice seem to be out of date?
>>
>> These are generated automatically by the shading process. Which parts
>> look out of date?
>
> Well the notice has some jars but not all of them, the dependencies
> has a list of "unknowns", some of which have no license detail. This
> is expected? (I did review everything listed there and they do seem to
> be cat a/b licenses so it should be fine...)

The dependencies and notice in the shaded jar are generated
automatically which explains some gaps where the metadata (e.g.
organization name) is not available in the original jars. These gaps
are covered by the top-level NOTICE.txt and the licences in lib, which
I have checked are all in category A or B. And each jar file in lib
has an accompanying license, where this is required by the license. So
I think everything should be covered here.

Cheers,
Tom

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> -1. RAT is failing for me, otherwise things look good (tests and such).
>
> $ mvn apache-rat:check
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.rat:apache-rat-plugin:0.6:check (default-cli) on project
> whirr-cli: Too many unapproved licenses: 1 -> [Help 1]

I just tried running RAT and got the same error, but it is for a whirr
log file (cli/whirr.log), which is produced after running unit tests:
When I remove this file then RAT passes, so it should be OK? We should
probably have RAT ignore log files though.

> also I notice that in the shaded cli jar meta-inf/dependencies and
> meta-inf/notice seem to be out of date?

These are generated automatically by the shading process. Which parts
look out of date?

Thanks for looking at the release.

Cheers
Tom

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1 Check my comments on WHIRR-201 and WHIRR-193.

--
Andrei Savu -- andreisavu.ro

Re: [VOTE] Release Whirr version 0.3.0-incubating

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
+1 The source tarball looks good to me.

Doug

Posted by Johan Oskarsson <jo...@oskarsson.nu>.
+1 (a bit late, I know).

Based on starting a Cassandra cluster on EC2 with the cli tool.

/Johan