Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com> on 2022/12/14 09:07:46 UTC

[DISCUSS] Github Discussions for CloudStack?

All,

In the past, we had moved away from JIRA and ReviewBoard to Github as it provided a single platform for both the user and the dev community to collaborate on issues/requests and code changes (pull requests). We later organically started using Github for release milestones/triaging, recently projects. For sub-projects such as cloudstack-cloudmonkey, cloudstack-terraform-provider etc we also use the wiki features. More recently we're not advised to move to Github actions from Travis CI by ASF infra.

Off lately, several user-related discussions and questions that we would have expected on the users ML are finding ways in Github issues, which aren't issues per se but questions, and discussions. Should we explore, enable and try Github Discussions [1] for CloudStack repos?

Several Apache projects have enabled Github Discussions [1], for example:
https://github.com/apache/couchdb/discussions
https://github.com/apache/apisix/discussions
https://github.com/apache/shardingsphere/discussions
https://github.com/apache/streampipes/discussions
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/discussions
https://github.com/apache/airflow/discussions
https://github.com/apache/dolphinscheduler/discussions
https://github.com/apache/inlong/discussions
https://github.com/apache/doris/discussions
https://github.com/apache/arrow-datafusion/discussions
https://github.com/apache/superset/discussions

[1] https://github.com/features/discussions

Regards.

RE: [DISCUSS] Github Discussions for CloudStack?

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@angus.uk.com.INVALID>.
Thank you for confirming what I said about the ASFs requirements around mailing lists.

However, having primary and secondary places to look for threads could make it harder for users to find answers to questions that have been asked before; so I'm asking that this issue be considered fully so that we can ensure that we support users as best we can.

Kind Regards

Paul Angus

________________________________

Posted by David Jumani <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Sounds like a good idea
+1 for giving it a try!
________________________________

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
I don't know if the Github Discussions messages/comments are sent to mailing lists. I can ask this with ASF infra, how other projects have the Github Discussions feature integrated and get back to you all.

In my limited understanding, this will be in addition to the mailing list (I'm not suggesting we stop using mailing lists).

Regards.

________________________________

Posted by Nux <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
That's a good point, it'd be nice if there was a possibility to use the
"discussions" integrated in the mailing lists.

---
Nux
www.nux.ro

Posted by Daniel Augusto Veronezi Salvador <dv...@gmail.com>.