Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Alex Blewitt <al...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/06 00:47:11 UTC

[classlib][pack200] Unpacked my first archive today!

I managed to unpack a Pack200 file completely today for the first
time, so that by the end of it there were no bytes left in the queue.
Unfortunately, it wasn't a spectacularly exciting archive -- just one
interface with no methods (about as exciting as
java.lang.Serializable, in fact) but I think that I've unlocked the
next stage in the process for decompressing the attributes that are
left (including things like bytecodes, etc.).

At the moment, the data is just in an unpacked state; I've not yet
looked at re-assembling the data into their constituent .class files
(need to get hold of the class bytecode format for that) or even
reconstituting the Jar file. I'm thinking of using ZipEntry and
ZipOutputStream (or corresponding Jar variants) for building the
resulting Jar file. I'm not sure whether they are implemented or not
in the current trunk or not, but I might start working against the
ZipOutputStream/ZipEntry APIs.

Onward and upward ...

Alex.

Re: [classlib][pack200] Unpacked my first archive today!

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
Wow wow! My congratulations. Don't stop on this. :)

--
Alexei Zakharov,
Intel Middleware Product Division

Re: [classlib][pack200] Unpacked my first archive today!

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
Congratulations!  Excellent!

geir

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
Great news!

2006/10/6, Alex Blewitt <al...@gmail.com>:
> I managed to unpack a Pack200 file completely today for the first
> time, so that by the end of it there were no bytes left in the queue.
> Unfortunately, it wasn't a spectacularly exciting archive -- just one
> interface with no methods (about as exciting as
> java.lang.Serializable, in fact) but I think that I've unlocked the
> next stage in the process for decompressing the attributes that are
> left (including things like bytecodes, etc.).
>
> At the moment, the data is just in an unpacked state; I've not yet
> looked at re-assembling the data into their constituent .class files
> (need to get hold of the class bytecode format for that) or even
> reconstituting the Jar file. I'm thinking of using ZipEntry and
> ZipOutputStream (or corresponding Jar variants) for building the
> resulting Jar file. I'm not sure whether they are implemented or not
> in the current trunk or not, but I might start working against the
> ZipOutputStream/ZipEntry APIs.
>
> Onward and upward ...
>
> Alex.

Alexey A. Petrenko
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [classlib][pack200] Unpacked my first archive today!

Posted by "Jimmy, Jing Lv" <fi...@gmail.com>.
Alex Blewitt wrote:
> I managed to unpack a Pack200 file completely today for the first
> time, so that by the end of it there were no bytes left in the queue.
> Unfortunately, it wasn't a spectacularly exciting archive -- just one
> interface with no methods (about as exciting as
> java.lang.Serializable, in fact) but I think that I've unlocked the
> next stage in the process for decompressing the attributes that are
> left (including things like bytecodes, etc.).

That's great achievement! :)

> At the moment, the data is just in an unpacked state; I've not yet
> looked at re-assembling the data into their constituent .class files
> (need to get hold of the class bytecode format for that) or even
> reconstituting the Jar file. I'm thinking of using ZipEntry and
> ZipOutputStream (or corresponding Jar variants) for building the
> resulting Jar file. I'm not sure whether they are implemented or not
> in the current trunk or not, but I might start working against the
> ZipOutputStream/ZipEntry APIs.

Yes, IMHO it is necessary to understand class bytecode format. And
Zip/Jar file operations has already implemented, you can use either Java
APIs in Harmony or C APIs(we have zlib in archive\src\main\native) if
necessary.

> Onward and upward ...

Good luck! :)

> Alex.