Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Sethuraman, Prabhu (Cognizant)" <Pr...@cognizant.com> on 2005/12/07 13:10:58 UTC

Tomcat 5.0.18 crashes everyday

Folks,

We have been facing issues with an application that has been good and working hard for almost a month without any issues. Its just that we get an OutofMemory error and the JVM dies! Below are the errors that I have seen so far:

1. Exception java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: requested 512000 bytes for GrET* in /export1/jdk142-update/ws/fcs/hotspot/src/share/vm/utilities/growableArray.cpp. Out of swap space?

2. Exception java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: requested 32756 bytes for ChunkPool::allocate. Out of swap space?

Tomcat logs indicate an attempt for Garbage collection just before this error. This is what we saw in the logs:

[Full GC
Exception java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: requested 32756 bytes for ChunkPool::allocate. Out of swap space?

Any ideas on how I can start debugging this problem. We use tomcat 5.0.18 with jdk 1.4.2_05 on a Solaris box. Heap size is set to 1512m and so we feel there is enough memory available to the application.

Thanks,
Prabhu S

Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.

  Visit us at http://www.cognizant.com

RE: Tomcat 5.0.18 crashes everyday

Posted by Carl Olivier <ca...@unysen.co.uk>.
Hi.

I would suggest settings some JVM memory switches, for example:

-XX:+UseParallelGC		(you have multiple processors?)
-XX:+DisableExplicitGC 	(in case code is calling System.gc())
-Xss128k			(Small native thread stack size mem
allocations)

Also - you will notice that your error is related to the SWAP space of your
OS - so would investgate upping that at an OS level.

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Carl

[...]

information.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply
e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Any unauthorized