Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by eks dev <ek...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2009/07/12 13:22:36 UTC

OOM with 2.9

Hi,
We just upgraded to 2.9 and noticed some (to me) not expected OOM.

We use MMapDirectory and after upgrade, on exactly the same Index/machine/jvm/params/setup... we cannot start index as mapping screams "No memory"

any explanation why this could be the case?

Re: OOM with 2.9

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
I would not expect a 2.9 IndexReader to consume more RAM.  Was this
definitely the case?  (It wasn't just a matter of other processes
taking up RAM).  If so, we should drill in to understand the root
cause / regression.

One thing you can do in 2.9 is IndexReader.setDisableFakeNorms(true),
to prevent allocation of the "fake" byte[maxDoc()] norms array, to
save RAM.

Mike