Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/05 18:31:18 UTC

Let's go Facebook

Hi all

I discovered some time ago, that the Apache Software Foundation has a
automated generated Facebook site with over 9000 likes. For those who
don't know it, FB generate a page for highly requested sits. There is a
text from Wikipedia on it, the Logo and that's it. We can take over this
page with the 9000 fans on it, and make a real fan page.

I've talked about this topic with Sally. She said, that I should go ahead
and do it. I have some years experience with FB pages. I'm one of the
Administrators of the Apache OpenOffice page. So I propose the following
procedure.

If there are no concerns, I will care about getting the page setup. After
that I can add others to Admin ore Moderator list.

I ask also for help here. Who is willing to maintain a Facebook page? FB
can also be a good opportunity to get new people involved. At OpenOffice
we have had committer who started with a simple Question on the FB Page.

So what you think about it?

Regards, Raphael

Re: Let's go Facebook

Posted by muktesh mishra <mu...@hotmail.com>.
Please go ahead and do it.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Let's go Facebook

Posted by sblackmon <sb...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Check out this thread about tracking apache project accounts on social media.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c4eae9b05c353f906fe030a203f37f7097d0ae0c47c7c02742a6f5cc@%3Cdev.community.apache.org%3E

On twitter I'm now tracking profiles and posts from 133 apache projects and podlings:
https://www.zeppelinhub.com/viewer/notebooks/bm90ZTovL3N0ZXZlYmxhY2ttb24vYXBhY2hlLXplcHBlbGluLWRhc2hib2FyZC84YjQ5YmY3MWIxYTU0ZTE2YjlkMDQyMTliMzNlMjQzYS9ub3RlLmpzb24

Far fewer on facebook:
https://www.zeppelinhub.com/viewer/notebooks/bm90ZTovL3N0ZXZlYmxhY2ttb24vYXBhY2hlLXplcHBlbGluLWRhc2hib2FyZC9lNzQzZjRkZGVkMGY0YjA3YTkzZTQ2NWFkYjU2ZTQxOS9ub3RlLmpzb24

I’m very much in favor of a push to identify all the projects that are active, and support those who are not in getting setup and generating appropriate content.

So count me in to help out with the foundation’s facebook and other social media efforts.

Steve

Re: Let's go Facebook

Posted by Matthew Sacks <ma...@matthewsacks.com>.
Do it.

Re: Let's go Facebook

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 03/06/2017 10:17 AM, Matt Morris wrote:
> Wouldn't something like https://diasporafoundation.org/ be more in line
> with the Apache way than Facebook?
>
> I believe Dispora can broadcast to Twitter etc.
>
> I would be interested in helping with a Diaspora Pod.

This is not either/or. If you want to create and maintain a Diaspora
presence, go ahead and do it. However, Diaspora is not exactly active.
While it probably doesn't hurt to have a presence there, it also doesn't
actually help. If the goal is to spread the word, you have to go where
people are, rather than shouting in the desert.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: Let's go Facebook

Posted by Matt Morris <ma...@gmail.com>.
Wouldn't something like https://diasporafoundation.org/ be more in line
with the Apache way than Facebook?

I believe Dispora can broadcast to Twitter etc.

I would be interested in helping with a Diaspora Pod.

Let me know!

Thank You,

Matthew
Morris