Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chris Ruegger <cr...@speakeasy.net> on 2002/07/27 19:29:35 UTC

does mod_jk work with https?

Situation
Red Hat Linux 7.2
Apache 1.3.20
Tomcat 4.0.4

All works well under http. I can connect to Apache, and I get forwarded to Tomcat properly.
However, when I access the site through https, I get the Apache Test Page.

1. Does mod_jk work with https/SSL? If so, does it forward to Tomcat via https or http?
    I'd like to rig things so Apache forwards to Tomcat via http
2. What is the httpsd.conf file? I've seen references to it. Doesnt Apache do
    all of its configuration in httpd.conf only for both http and https?

Any tips/pointers/documentation regarding this appreciated.

Re: does mod_jk work with https?

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
I'm pretty sure you can do this.  I haven't made it there yet - I've
changed gears back to working on my app.  What you're looking for is ...
in the TC 3.3 docs, but I don't have the URL handy.  I *believe* Apache
will handle the encoding/decoding and Tomcat will talk clear-text...
which is what you want.

I set up all of my http/https stuff in the same file.  If someone had
two files, it would indicate to me that they are probably running two
seperate installations of Apache.  I'm not expert on this though, so
don't quote me.  Last I knew you could just give Apache one config file
though.

... just use virtual hosts and specify your port:

NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1> # Default port
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:443> # SSL port
</VirtualHost>

You'll need to configure mod_ssl (or whatever you use) to pass the
environment variables I believe, and tell mod_jk what those variables
are.  You will find how to do this in the TC 3.3 docs for mod_jk.  My
suggestion to you would be to walk the 3.3 tree (act like you were going
to download a distro for 3.3 or whatever and then just "walk" the
heirarchy to find the connector stuff) and find a distro with the docs.
 That should give you a good start.

If you're just starting on this, and haven't been able to figure out how
to configure TC + Apache (sounds like you have, but just to be safe) you
may want to check out ubeans.com/tomcat  Come to think of it, that may
shed some light on your SSL woes too.  I need to go check it out again
sometime.  I don't recall that being there.

HTH,

Eddie