Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> on 2009/04/28 10:23:57 UTC

Header stuff

Hi,

Anyone from the experienced MINA crew who'd like to comment on

  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VYSPER-2

Thanks,

  Bernd

Re: Header stuff

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 09:47, Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr> wrote:
> Le Tue, 28 Apr 2009 14:04:32 +0530,
> Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Bernd Fondermann
>> <bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Anyone from the experienced MINA crew who'd like to comment on
>> >
>> >  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VYSPER-2
>> >

>> These are same, its my SVN client (Tortoise SVN) that hasn't updated
>> these tags. See this http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html
>>
>> I think I did put this up
>> http://mina.markmail.org/message/rpucxhis34aaktz2?q=from:Ashish+date:200904+&page=2
>>
>> Any help is appreciated, to help me fix this issue with my SVN client.
>>

> I start to dislike all those SVN code tags, it's just annoying to setup
> and not really useful for me. Perhaps we could drop them ?

+1 from me, but I arrived here only recently - maybe when properly
assimilated I will start to love them. But probably not.

  Bernd

Re: Header stuff

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Julien Vermillard
<jv...@archean.fr> wrote:
> I start to dislike all those SVN code tags, it's just annoying to setup
> and not really useful for me. Perhaps we could drop them ?

+1

/niklas

Re: Header stuff

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Julien Vermillard wrote:
> Le Tue, 28 Apr 2009 14:04:32 +0530,
> Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>

>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Bernd Fondermann
>> <bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Anyone from the experienced MINA crew who'd like to comment on
>>>
>>>  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VYSPER-2
>>>

>> These are same, its my SVN client (Tortoise SVN) that hasn't updated
>> these tags. See this http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html
>>
>> I think I did put this up
>> http://mina.markmail.org/message/rpucxhis34aaktz2?q=from:Ashish+date:200904+&page=2
>>
>> Any help is appreciated, to help me fix this issue with my SVN client.
>>

> I start to dislike all those SVN code tags, it's just annoying to setup
> and not really useful for me. Perhaps we could drop them ?

I never liked them. We already have everything we need on the repo.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Header stuff

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> <snip/>
>> I'd propose something like this:
>>
>> @author <a href="http://mina.apache.org">Apache MINA Project</a>
>>
>> At the homepage is everything one could possibly need (source,
>> documentation, and contact information). I don't know if it's better
>> to point to the subproject or not, though.
>>

> Maybe there have already been extensive discussions about this in the
> past, but we should give that a second thought. The website will stay,
> while mailing lists for projects (sometimes) change, as projects grow
> and MLs are forked.
>
> Essentially, I am fine with both approaches.

@author tags may be removed, but I find it convenient to have a tag
pointing to the original project (be it the ML or the web page). As
project might move - for instance, MINA was a part of Directory before
being a TLP, Vysper was a part of labs before being a MINA sub-project,
and may be one day a TLP...-

We just have, as a project, to decide what to do. I like the proposal to
use the http link to the project web site, instead of the dev mailing list.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Header stuff

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Michael Jakl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 08:54, Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
>> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>>> Note : We also have to use the same @author tags everywhere.
>>> SSHd uses :
>>> @author <a href="mailto:dev@mina.apache.org">Apache MINA SSHD Project</a>
>>>
>>> FtpServer uses :
>>> @author The Apache MINA Project (dev@mina.apache.org)
>>>
>>> MINA uses :
>>> @author The Apache MINA Project (dev@mina.apache.org)
>>>
>>> AsyncWeb still have personal author's tags like :
>>> @author <a href="mailto:adrian@ephox.com">Adrian Sutton</a>
>>>
>>> In this case, we have to do three things :
>>> 1) check that those authors are Apache committers
>>> 2) check that the code was either committed as a part of the project or
>>> as a part of an ASL 2.0 compliant project
>>> 3) if they are external (ie, ASL 2.0 compliant license project), then we
>>> have to check that the notice.txt contains the correct attribution
>> For 2) and 3), where the origin of the code is not at the ASF covered by
>> and *CLA, my understanding is that there should be either an IP grant on
>> file or a corresponding JIRA with a checked ASF-license box.
>>
>> Nevertheless, the author tags could be removed altogether, because they
>> are not a copyright (the original author retains copyright anyway, it is
>> irrevokable AFAIK) or a licensing statement.
>
> I was to support your suggestion, but after a second thought the
> author tag might have a benefit. Since everybody has the right to copy
> and use the code, it could be all over the internet, with the author
> tag it's clear where the code comes from (even if Google points to
> some class deep down the hierachy).

Actually, it already _is_ all over the internet (at least for the MINA
case :-). I intended to refer to _individual_ author tags, not the ML
author tag, which I think is should stay.

> On the other hand, removing redundancies (since it's the same
> information everywhere) is also a good thing.
>
>>> In any case, we should use the same tag formet (SSHd format ios probably
>>> more convenient, if we consider Javadoc).
>> +1

> address to add without further notice (how to subscribe to it for
> example). It isn't possible to send a mail to dev@mina.apache.org
> without subscribing, is it?

It is possible, but the posting won't go through directly, it is subject
to moderation. That's how most MLs@ASF work.

Re: Header stuff

Posted by Michael Jakl <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 08:54, Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>> Note : We also have to use the same @author tags everywhere.
>> SSHd uses :
>> @author <a href="mailto:dev@mina.apache.org">Apache MINA SSHD Project</a>
>>
>> FtpServer uses :
>> @author The Apache MINA Project (dev@mina.apache.org)
>>
>> MINA uses :
>> @author The Apache MINA Project (dev@mina.apache.org)
>>
>> AsyncWeb still have personal author's tags like :
>> @author <a href="mailto:adrian@ephox.com">Adrian Sutton</a>
>>
>> In this case, we have to do three things :
>> 1) check that those authors are Apache committers
>> 2) check that the code was either committed as a part of the project or
>> as a part of an ASL 2.0 compliant project
>> 3) if they are external (ie, ASL 2.0 compliant license project), then we
>> have to check that the notice.txt contains the correct attribution
>
> For 2) and 3), where the origin of the code is not at the ASF covered by
> and *CLA, my understanding is that there should be either an IP grant on
> file or a corresponding JIRA with a checked ASF-license box.
>
> Nevertheless, the author tags could be removed altogether, because they
> are not a copyright (the original author retains copyright anyway, it is
> irrevokable AFAIK) or a licensing statement.

I was to support your suggestion, but after a second thought the
author tag might have a benefit. Since everybody has the right to copy
and use the code, it could be all over the internet, with the author
tag it's clear where the code comes from (even if Google points to
some class deep down the hierachy).

On the other hand, removing redundancies (since it's the same
information everywhere) is also a good thing.

>> In any case, we should use the same tag formet (SSHd format ios probably
>> more convenient, if we consider Javadoc).
>
> +1

address to add without further notice (how to subscribe to it for
example). It isn't possible to send a mail to dev@mina.apache.org
without subscribing, is it?

I'd propose something like this:

@author <a href="http://mina.apache.org">Apache MINA Project</a>

At the homepage is everything one could possibly need (source,
documentation, and contact information). I don't know if it's better
to point to the subproject or not, though.

Cheers,
Michael

Re: Header stuff

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.

Re: It's time to plan MINA 3.0 to support AIO within jdk7

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Stanley Ding <gh...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any plan by now?

let us release MINA 2.0 first !!! :)

But, yes, we already discussed about many things we want to add in MINA 3.0
:
- Multicast support
- NIO-2.0
- A new chain implementation
- A new buffer support
- More logs
- Dedicated protocol codec (for well known protocols)

So adding support for Java 7 and AIO might also be part of the list.

The question si how we should support different JVM version in //. We would
like to keep MINA working with Java 5 as it's still quite used (at least in
enterprises...)

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

It's time to plan MINA 3.0 to support AIO within jdk7

Posted by Stanley Ding <gh...@hotmail.com>.
Is there any plan by now?

Re: Header stuff

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

It's not _that_ painfull... Around one hour. There are 300 @version tags
in ftpserver, so it's a @revision removal every 12 seconds ;)
> /niklas

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Header stuff

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Re: Header stuff

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Still have to remove those from FtpServer.
>>

> I'll take care of them if you like.

Np. FYI, I did it by hand (not using a script with sed) because it
allowed me to have a look at each header, and allowed me to see that
some Javadoc was needed, and such other omisions. Not sure it worth the
pain in your case.
> /niklas

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Header stuff

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Re: Header stuff

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Re: Header stuff

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
> Funny enough, you don't need network to do "svn info pom.xml"  ;-)
> so +1 for removing
>
> Maarten

+1
--