Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Andreas Vombach <an...@psi.ch> on 2004/10/20 08:45:36 UTC

How do I submit without submit button

I would like to send the content of a TextField to the server without
having to submit the complete form.
If possible, it should work using the DirectLink component with parameters.
The problem I face is that values of TextFields are only read out by
using a submit Button.
Is there a way to give the actual value of a TextField to a DirectLink
parameter? (evtl. with Javascript???)

Thanks Andreas

Re: LinkSubmit with parameters

Posted by Norbert Sándor <pr...@hotmail.com>.
LinkSubmit just submits the form, so it doesn't have parameters like
DirectLink.
You can "pass" parameters to LinkSubmit using Hidden components for example.

Norbi

Re: How do I submit without submit button

Posted by James Sherwood <js...@romulin.com>.
You could grab the value in the text field using javascript and call a
directlink with this value as the parameter.

Would not require submitting the form

James

Posted by Markus Wiederkehr <ma...@gmail.com>.
If you have no problem with JavaScript you could use the LinkSubmit
component to have a link instead of a button. That would still submit
the entire form though.

One option would be to reduce the size of the form to contain only the
TextField. If that isn't possible you could try to create a smaller
form inside the big one (I haven't tried that, don't know if it works,
probably not). The last option would be to look into the source of
LinkSubmit and create your own component that can be parameterized.