Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Da...@rnib.org.uk on 2004/08/24 11:10:24 UTC

RE: [FileUpload] new user, querying functionality? commons-fileup load

Hi Tim.
  Thanks for the reply.

    Given the brief outline of your requirements, personally
    and just my opinion I would look at Jakarta-Slide or
    OpenCMS. I believe both could fulfill your requirements;
The cms side of it is the lesser of my worries, but
thanks for the hints.

    Back to your original question regarding FileUpload

    FileUpload is server component to
    efficiently handle the base64 encoded stream the
    application server receives in a multipart/form-data http
    post. AFAIK there's no client part; the most common use
    case is to have a html form tag and onen or more input of type file:

    <form name="myForm" action="" ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data"
    method="post"> <input type="file" name="myFile" size="25" value="">

I've managed to hack some jscript together to make it usable
for n files, but it really is a hack.

so fileupload handles the receiving end, but not the 'filedialogue'
end as you call it. Tks for the clarification.

    I think if your looking for more advanced FileDialog than
    what you get with html's input type=file; then you would
    look at signed applets or ActiveX controls. I used to use
    this one http://www.infomentum.com/appletfile/ with
    Coldfusion 4.5 application server, but I'd imagine tomcat
    works as well. There are a bunch of these out there; maybe
    sf.net has open source open licensed one(s)?

thanks Tim. I'll take a look.
It says
"To run these samples, you will need to be using either Microsoft Active
Server Pages with Infomentum ActiveFile or Allaire Cold Fusion as your
server-side scripting tool."

I.e. looks like its M$ based?

I'll have another look round though.

    One last note; the commons mailing list protocol is to
    prefix the email subject with the component name as I've done here.

Sorry, my bad.

Regards DaveP

--
DISCLAIMER: