Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/29 10:22:13 UTC

[DISCUSS] - Remove Camel 1.x only material from the wiki documentation

Hi

Camel 1.x has been EOL for about 1 year now
http://camel.apache.org/2010/12/17/camel-164-released.html

In our wiki documentation we have sometime parts of the documentation,
which covers Camel 1.x details only.

I wonder if we should start removing those pieces?
For example when I from time to time edit the wiki pages, I encounter
those pieces, and while I am editing, I might as well just as well
delete the Camel 1.x material.

For Camel 1.x end users, there is still the Camel manuals which has
the documentation
http://camel.apache.org/manual.html

Just a little example, see the bottom of this page
http://camel.apache.org/walk-through-an-example.html
which refers to a Camel 1.x change.

Any thoughts?

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: [DISCUSS] - Remove Camel 1.x only material from the wiki documentation

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

Christian

Sent from a mobile device
Am 06.03.2012 09:07 schrieb "Jean-Baptiste Onofré" <jb...@nanthrax.net>:

> +1 it makes sense.
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 03/06/2012 08:59 AM, Claus Ibsen wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM, Glen Mazza (Talend)<gm...@talend.com>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>> OK, with Camel 2.0 as the doc base I've been removing the Camel 1.x text
>>> and
>>> changing text that says "Starting with Camel 2.0, we offer..." to "We
>>> offer..." (still leaving that terminology for Camel>= 2.1).  Next, on our
>>> components page (http://camel.apache.org/**components.html<http://camel.apache.org/components.html>)
>>>  I'll be removing
>>> the three or four "Camel 1.x use this link" references which point to
>>> Camel
>>> 1-specific components, and (if I have the delete permissions) those Camel
>>> 1.x-only pages themselves.  This can be reverted should there be any

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 it makes sense.

Regards
JB

On 03/06/2012 08:59 AM, Claus Ibsen wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM, Glen Mazza (Talend)<gm...@talend.com>  wrote:
>> OK, with Camel 2.0 as the doc base I've been removing the Camel 1.x text and
>> changing text that says "Starting with Camel 2.0, we offer..." to "We
>> offer..." (still leaving that terminology for Camel>= 2.1).  Next, on our
>> components page (http://camel.apache.org/components.html)  I'll be removing
>> the three or four "Camel 1.x use this link" references which point to Camel
>> 1-specific components, and (if I have the delete permissions) those Camel
>> 1.x-only pages themselves.  This can be reverted should there be any
>> objections.
>>

> Yeah I think this is fine as 1.x is EOL for 1+ year now.
>

>> --

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] - Remove Camel 1.x only material from the wiki documentation

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Fernando Ribeiro <we...@fernandoribeiro.eti.br>.
+1

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] - Remove Camel 1.x only material from the wiki documentation

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
+1

I also have started removing references to 1.x stuff.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: [DISCUSS] - Remove Camel 1.x only material from the wiki documentation

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

This is an old horse I am just touching again.

Today we have some old Camel 1.x docs a bit scattered in the wiki
pages. So feel free when you encounter them to just remove it.

But we also got a number of components that is rewritten in 2.x and
therefore we have 2 sets of doc, eg
- file vs file2
- ftp vs ftp2
- aggregate EIP vs aggregate2 EIP

I got this idea, of just keeping the old links around, and have the
old pages (eg the Camel 1.x stuff) being deleted, and then just
include the Camel 2.x docs, eg in other words

file -> include (file2)
ftp -> include (ftp2)

Then any existing links still works. And people looking at the docs
will see the up to date Camel 2.x docs for these pages.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------
Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Re: [DISCUSS] - Remove Camel 1.x only material from the wiki documentation

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 5:52 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Camel 1.x has been EOL for about 1 year now
> http://camel.apache.org/2010/12/17/camel-164-released.html
>
> In our wiki documentation we have sometime parts of the documentation,
> which covers Camel 1.x details only.
>
> I wonder if we should start removing those pieces?
> For example when I from time to time edit the wiki pages, I encounter
> those pieces, and while I am editing, I might as well just as well
> delete the Camel 1.x material.
>
> For Camel 1.x end users, there is still the Camel manuals which has
> the documentation
> http://camel.apache.org/manual.html
>
> Just a little example, see the bottom of this page
> http://camel.apache.org/walk-through-an-example.html
> which refers to a Camel 1.x change.
>

> Any thoughts?
>

> --