Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de> on 2003/04/15 16:19:19 UTC

How to use AddFooter

Hi list,
I am trying to make the AddFooter mailet work. I looked at the
mailinglist and found another such question, though no answer to it.
Hope I am more successfull :-)

I tried this in different <processor>s, but no line is generated in my
mails?

  <mailet match="All" class="AddFooter">
     <text>-----------------------------------</text>
  </mailet>

Stephan

Re: How to use AddFooter

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de>.
okay, thanks, I am currently looking at how to implement my own mailets
anyway, so now I start with an idea what it might do :-)

Stephan

Re: How to use AddFooter

Re: How to use AddFooter

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de>.
Hi Carlos,

I tried both HTML and plain/text

How can I see that there is such a restriction? I mean, the
documentation on mailets I found
(http://james.apache.org/provided_mailets_2_1.html)  is not too large .-)

Re: How to use AddFooter

Posted by Carlos Cortés del Valle <cc...@redauto.com>.
Have you checked the mail ContentType is one of the allowed by the mailet?

Re: How to use AddFooter

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de>.
> - The server keeps crashing when I try to end it

>Which JVM?  It works perfectly for me on linux (RH 6.2 and RH 8) using IBM
>1.3.1 and Sun 1.4.1 or later.

My windows has 1.4.1_01-b01 and the Linux box has 1.4.1-b21

>I still test with the telnet interface,
>although these days I am more likely to use my SysVInit script.  You can run
>"/<install-dir>/bin/phoenix.sh stop" to stop James.

That did seem to endy my Phoenix nicely, but I could not restart it
(kept 'address in use' errors), until I found the correct java process
and killed that one manually :-(

>>- The admin interface works fine on Windows, but on Linux it is
>>  distorted. Looks like this:
>>

>That sounds like a terminal emulation problem.  I don't see that when I
>access the interface.  Most of the time I am using either SSH (real SSH) or
>a current version of mindterm to provide terminal emulation.

Yep, that's what I think too. Tried standard windows Telnet and Putty
SSH and got the same result. Annyoying, but not really a problem, though.

Stephan

RE: How to use AddFooter

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> - the download doesn't contain the needed phoenix-bin directory

WHICH download?  James-<version>-src isn't supposed to have it.
James-with-phoenix-<version>-src has it -- I just checked.

> - AddFooter works now.

:-)

> - The ServerTime mailet has the same problem. It runs indefinite. This
is so, because the last line of the service method results in a call to
itself: getMailetContext().sendMail(response);

That isn't a call to itself.  Unless you are sending ALL messages to
ServerTime!  When I test, I use something like:

   <mailet match="servertime@mydomain.tld" class="ServerTime" />

then send a message to servertime@mydomain.tld.  ServerTime then sends a
response to the sender's address.

> - The server keeps crashing when I try to end it

Which JVM?  It works perfectly for me on linux (RH 6.2 and RH 8) using IBM
1.3.1 and Sun 1.4.1 or later.  I still test with the telnet interface,
although these days I am more likely to use my SysVInit script.  You can run
"/<install-dir>/bin/phoenix.sh stop" to stop James.

> - The admin interface works fine on Windows, but on Linux it is
>   distorted. Looks like this:

That sounds like a terminal emulation problem.  I don't see that when I
access the interface.  Most of the time I am using either SSH (real SSH) or
a current version of mindterm to provide terminal emulation.

	--- Noel

Re: How to use AddFooter

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de>.
Hi Noel,
you asked for it :-)

- the download doesn't contain the needed phoenix-bin directory, I took
the one from the stable source distribution. Otherwise I would not have
been able to compile

- AddFooter works now.

- The ServerTime mailet has the same problem. It runs indefinite. This
is so, because the last line of the service method results in a call to
itself:
getMailetContext().sendMail(response);
Of course, this might be a problem of me being to ignorant to place the
mallet right, tried several places though.

- The server keeps crashing when I try to end it, either by pressing
strg+c or by telneting to it. This happens in the official release as
well and I tried it on Suse Linux (8.0) and on WinXP. I have to manually
kill the java process (happens much more often on Linux, by the way).
This is very annoying, as I have to shut down the server every time I
change a mailet.

- The admin interface works fine on Windows, but on Linux it is
distorted. Looks like this:
"JAMES Remote Administration Tool 2.1.2
                                      Please enter your login and password

id:
   root
Password:
         asdsad
Login failed for root
                     Login id:
"

Still think it very cool to have my own mail and news server now .-)
Tried to get INN running on sunday and wasted a whole afternoon on it
.-( So, thanks for James!

Stephan

RE: How to use AddFooter

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.