Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Mark Webb <el...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/21 19:03:40 UTC

slightly OT - Intel vs AMD with java

I am working on a system that uses MINA, and I need to spec out some
hardware.  I am not sure if I should get AMD or Intel processors.  Has
anyone seen benchmarks using Java with the new multi-core processors?  From
java's perspective, is there much difference?

TIA

--
..Cheers
Mark

Re: slightly OT - Intel vs AMD with java

Posted by Vinod Panicker <vi...@gmail.com>.
On 2/21/07, Mark Webb <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am working on a system that uses MINA, and I need to spec out some
> hardware.  I am not sure if I should get AMD or Intel processors.  Has
> anyone seen benchmarks using Java with the new multi-core processors?  From
> java's perspective, is there much difference?

I'm running benchmarks on a dual Opteron 250 system and a dual Xeon
5130 (dual core)

The Xeon outperforms the Opteron by 2x (it's a dual core) and I
believe has a better price-performance ratio as well as lower power
consumption.  My next system's a Xeon as well.

HTH,
Vinod.

Re: slightly OT - Intel vs AMD with java

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 2/22/07, Mark Webb <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am working on a system that uses MINA, and I need to spec out some
> hardware.  I am not sure if I should get AMD or Intel processors.  Has
> anyone seen benchmarks using Java with the new multi-core
> processors?  From
> java's perspective, is there much difference?

There was no much difference from my experience.  I currently use AMD dual
core Opteron processors, and it performs very well.  I was able to get
performance test result as good as Apache HTTPD 2 with MINA 2.0.0-M1 +
AsyncWeb-trunk duo.  My RAID is broken yesterday, so I will try to publish
the detailed performance test report when it gets back to life.

Ah, if you are talking about desktop CPUs, Conroe rocks, but I also prefer
AMD64X2 EE (Energy Efficient) because it's cheaper. :D

Last but least, it's just my personal preference.  Other people might find a
different choice.

HTH,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/