Posted to user@geode.apache.org by Nikhil Chandrappa <nc...@pivotal.io> on 2016/08/08 19:34:11 UTC

Load Balance between PROD and DR clusters

We have a need to automatically failover traffic between PROD and DR
Gemfire clusters.

We are planning to implement lightweight Spring Boot Gemfire client app
which will be monitored by F5 load balancer. Say these apps expose a REST
endpoint which say "UP" or "DOWN" depending on weather Gemfire cluster is
actively serving requests.

One way we are thinking of implementing "Health Check" app is to handle
NoAvailableServersException. I believe this will only cover the scenario
where all the servers are down. We wanted to know, list of failure
scenarios to be handled in Gemfire client to determine whether cluster is
running or not.

We wanted to check with community if any one has implemented Health Check
styled apps for Gemfire cluster and can share insights with us.

Thanks,
Nikhil Chandrappa

--

*Nikhil Chandrappa *| Data Engineer | New York

(315) 396 - 3789 | nchandrappa@pivotal.io | Pivotal Software Inc.
<http://www.pivotal.io/>

Re: Load Balance between PROD and DR clusters

Posted by Wayne Lund <wl...@pivotal.io>.
@JohnBlum can answer better but if you’re running your Gemfire app as a Spring Boot app with the spring-boot-starter-actuator you should be able to use the health endpoint meaning the endpoint is already there for you to use.  You can also customize your endpoints if you need something unique to your application. See http://docs.spring.io/spring-boot/docs/current/reference/htmlsingle/#production-ready-health <http://docs.spring.io/spring-boot/docs/current/reference/htmlsingle/#production-ready-health>.  I noticed that Gemfire Health Indicator is not in the docs should be easy to add.

Hope that helps,

Wayne

Wayne Lund
Platform Architect