Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ludger Palm <Lu...@lrz-muenchen.de> on 2005/05/20 16:25:43 UTC

[users@httpd] Mass Virtual Hosting

Hallo *!

We are planning to launch mass virtual hosting on a LAMP-based
server farm running several ten thousand virtual webservers
serving about a million http requests per day.
Who can communicate information or contact to people meeting
this challenge with success?

With best regards,

Ludger Palm

Leibniz Computing Centre, Munich, Germany
www.lrz-muenchen.de

Re: [users@httpd] Mass Virtual Hosting

Posted by jc...@assoces.com.
Hi,

Message de Ludger Palm <Lu...@lrz-muenchen.de>:

> Hallo *!
>
> We are planning to launch mass virtual hosting on a LAMP-based
> server farm running several ten thousand virtual webservers
> serving about a million http requests per day.
> Who can communicate information or contact to people meeting
> this challenge with success?

I am no professional (I run a server for a college with about 110
vhosts) but my
concerns would be :

- how to point the ftp to the right direction, since you'll have several
machines, the data won't be centralized (would the FTP server mount all the
disks thrugh NFS (??) or would you use AFS to have a single big distributed
file system?? explore the possibilities)
- what convention will you use to define where you'll store your vhosts (on
which server, perhaps vhosts starting with A go to server A, B go to server
B...)
- how will you administrate your tons of server (to add the vhost
definitions to
the apache conf files) perhaps take a look at cpanel, it's their business to
make a web based application that can create the directories, apache
conf lines
and so on when you want to add a vhost,  i know several hosting companies use
that
- Do you have the workforce to maintain your servers ?? If all your vhosts are
quite active (you can have 1000 inactive vhosts on a single system and
a single
vhost in one system that gets smashed under the load) you'll need an
incredible
amount of servers
- how will you deal with logs. Centralize them. (people will want to see how
their site is faring) and don't forget that depending on your kernel, there is
a limitation to the amount of files aapache can open simultaneously, so error
logs would take 1 file handler at each time. You'll need to split the global
access.log to get one logfile per vhost, search google for the string
split-logfile)

See you

Jean-Christophe Montigny
Mere small sysadmin for a small system