Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/20 12:29:23 UTC

Docker for GLV Development

We just merged a neat pull request, that was mostly implemented by Robert
Dale, which should be really helpful to GLV development. It basically
allows you to start a local Gremlin Server instance in Docker from the
current state of your Git branch (after building with "mvn clean install")
with:

docker/gremlin-server.sh

Of greater importance than just starting the server, it initializes it with
the same test configuration as maven does for its test executions. Starting
with that configuration means that the development workflow for GLVs has
become a bit easier because you can easily start Gremlin Server with docker
and then run GLV tests (which normally execute in Maven with all that test
rigging) from the debugger of your native languages IDE. It also means that
you can make changes in Gremlin Server and immediately test those changes
alongside changes to the GLV.

Anyway, I hope folks find this functionality helpful and thanks to Robert
for contributing this feature to our development toolkit.