Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Jan Vermeulen <ja...@isencia.com> on 2007/09/03 16:59:52 UTC

PageExpiredException should (not) be logged ?

I came across this change in RequestCycle.step() while getting the most
recent changes:

	// probably our last chance the exception can be logged.
	// Note that a PageExpiredException should not be logged, because
	// it's not an internal error
	if (e instanceof PageExpiredException)
	{
		logRuntimeException(e);
	}

Either the code is wrong or the comment. The comment on
RequestCycle.logRuntimeException() suggests the code is wrong:

	/**
	 * Called when an unrecoverable runtime exception during request cycle
handling occured, which
	 * will result in displaying a user facing error page. Clients can override
this method in case
	 * they want to customize logging. NOT called for
	 * {@link PageExpiredException page expired exceptions}...

But the same change has also been made in WebRequestCycle.redirectTo():

	if (ex instanceof PageExpiredException)
	{
		logRuntimeException(ex);
	}

Could this be a bug ? Or should the comment be adjusted ?

Jan

Re: PageExpiredException should (not) be logged ?

Posted by Jan Vermeulen <ja...@isencia.com>.
Thanks for replying.

Re: PageExpiredException should (not) be logged ?

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On 9/3/07, Jan Vermeulen <ja...@isencia.com> wrote:

> I came across this change in RequestCycle.step() while getting the most
> recent changes:
>
>         // probably our last chance the exception can be logged.
>         // Note that a PageExpiredException should not be logged, because
>         // it's not an internal error
>         if (e instanceof PageExpiredException)
>         {
>                 logRuntimeException(e);
>         }
>
> Either the code is wrong or the comment. The comment on
> RequestCycle.logRuntimeException() suggests the code is wrong:
>
>         /**
>          * Called when an unrecoverable runtime exception during request cycle
> handling occured, which
>          * will result in displaying a user facing error page. Clients can override
> this method in case
>          * they want to customize logging. NOT called for
>          * {@link PageExpiredException page expired exceptions}...
>
> But the same change has also been made in WebRequestCycle.redirectTo():
>
>         if (ex instanceof PageExpiredException)
>         {
>                 logRuntimeException(ex);
>         }
>
> Could this be a bug ? Or should the comment be adjusted ?

Seems to have been a bug, but someone fixed it in the mean while.

Eelco