Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Addison, Alex (LNG-LON)" <al...@lexisnexis.co.uk.INVALID> on 2019/02/25 07:22:09 UTC

Solr 7.7 Cloud - can it adapt to Zookeeper address changes while running?

Hi all, we're looking at how to run Solr & Zookeeper in production. We're running everything in AWS, and for resiliency we're using Exhibitor with Zookeeper and keeping Zookeeper in an auto-scaling group just to re-create instances that are terminated for whatever reason.
Unfortunately it's not simple to set this up so that Zookeeper retains a fixed IP or DNS name through such re-creation (i.e. the new virtual machine will have a new name and IP address); is there a way to inform Solr that the set of Zookeeper nodes it should talk to has changed? We're using Solr Cloud 7.7.

Thanks,
Alex Addison

________________________________

LexisNexis is a trading name of RELX (UK) LIMITED - Registered office - 1-3 STRAND, LONDON WC2N 5JR
Registered in England - Company No. 02746621

RE: Solr 7.7 Cloud - can it adapt to Zookeeper address changes while running?

Posted by "Addison, Alex (LNG-LON)" <al...@lexisnexis.co.uk.INVALID>.
Is there a guide to doing this with elastic IPs or Route 53 that you're aware of? If not, I'll aim to publish one as a blog entry. This is the solution we're working on, but I thought it was worth asking the community in case there was a simpler way.

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.
And or aws route 53

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.
Elastic ip addresses?

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
I don’t think an autoscaling group is the right way to bring back a Zookeeper node. ZK nodes have identity. This is key to the operation of ZK. You cannot just swap in a new random node. It doesn’t “scale up”.

Size the ZK cluster for the number of anticipated failures. I like a five node cluster which can handle two failures. That allows a random failure while a node is down for maintenance.

If you lose a node, configure a new one to replace it, with the right ID in the Zookeeper config files, then bring it back up as the same hostname.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org