Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Lennart Jörelid <le...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/28 20:52:13 UTC

Site:stage relativization against a variable URL

Good evening, all.

Today, maven-site-plugin performs its site:stage goal by copying the site
of a project into a staging directory, and relativizing some URLs. The
latter part is done by calculating the difference between the current
project's ${project.distributionManagement.site.url} and
the ${project.distributionManagement.site.url}  of the topmost parent pom,
retrieved from the current project.

The MSITE-699 patch (https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-669) currently
introduces an optional parameter to permit relativizing the URLs in a
staged site against the ${project.distributionManagement.site.url} of the
reactor root pom instead. This flexibility simplifies site:stage for
nonstandard reactor layouts.

However - I believe it could be more powerful/flexible/desirable to simply
add an optional parameter to the site:stage goal with the desired root URL
(i.e. giving the users the ability to supply the effective site:stage root
URL as a [command line] configuration parameter). This would enable users
to create staged sites for parts of a reactor with relative ease - which
would be an improvement to the current site:stage goal.

It would certainly be a simple patch to supply.
What do you think?

--
+==============================+

+==============================+

Re: Site:stage relativization against a variable URL

Posted by Lennart Jörelid <le...@gmail.com>.
Patch created and attached to the JIRA.
Feedback would be appreciated.

Lukas: Could we please include this patch into the upcoming release of the
site plugin?
It would simplify/enable the generation of big documentation sites where
the reactor structure does not map to the [parent] inheritance structure.

Re: Site:stage relativization against a variable URL

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.