Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/15 09:35:56 UTC

CS Extensions

I'd like to start that project to export FXG from creative suite apps.

Some questions:
1) Should I start this on a personal github account, or have we settled on something else?
2) CS Extensions have dependencies on a number of Adobe swcs. How do we handle the project vis a vis Apache's policies and binaries? I don't think those dependencies can be included…

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 16, 2013, at 7:26 PM, Alex Harui wrote:

> Thanks for working on this.  I have some "process" tasks for you.
>
> 1) I just skimmed the commit email and noticed that the files need Apache
> headers.

Okay. I'll add them.

> 2) I think you mentioned that some of this code was originally written by
> someone else?  I think we need an email from him in the mailing list
> archives so we have an official "paper trail".  You could forward one from
> him or he can write a new one.  We also need to determine what kinds of
> licenses and copyright attributions are required for his work, if any.

I did not get his code yet. I will see him in person in two weeks. It might wait until then. I'll consult with you when that happens...

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 6/11/13 2:23 PM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >Alex, any chance you could snag us an open source license for Adobe
> >Extension Builder?
> I'll ask, but I think Adobe wants you to sign up for Creative Cloud.

Thanks!  I will take a look at what the CC subscription costs and see if it
is worth it.

>  >
> >Also, was the spec for FXG donated?  I see in the Adobe Flex White paper
> >that FXG was part of the donation, although I dont see a spec document
> >(DTD, XSD, etc.) anywhere.
> Where's the spec now?  If on an Adobe site, then it might come in when
> Michelle gets the rest of the Adobe doc donated.

I have no idea.  I dont see it in the open source website.  There is a
lengthy document here: [1] but that does not seem a formal spec document
that can be used programatically.

How does the compiler check an FXG document for correctness?

Thanks,
Om

[1] http://sourceforge.net/adobe/flexsdk/wiki/FXG%202.0%20Specification/

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Om,

I noticed the check-in.

I'll try to take a look at it.

I'm hoping that I'll have time now that (most of) my kids are going back to school. Things have not exactly been working out as I planned… :-(

Harbs

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Om,

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Harbs,

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Sounds like gobbledygook to me. Should I just ask Bob to give his okay to be sure? I think the code he wrote was on his own time…

Which probably still mean Adobe owns it if he's a full time employee at Adobe - so we may need to get permission from them.

Justin

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
If that's easy to do, it probably wouldn't hurt.  Otherwise we should get
official answers.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
There's one other issue with my code:

All the code is mine with the partial exception of NativeComboBox.

NativeComboBox was the result of a discussion between Bob Stucky (a friend and Adobe employee) and me. I observed that there were extensions created by Adobe that had dropdowns that extended beyond the bounds of the panels, and wondered how to accomplish that. Bob realized that NativeMenu could be used and wrote an implementation[1]. I have since greatly modified his original implementation, but the original implementation was his. Do we need his permission recorded here?

[1] http://cookbooks.adobe.com/post_ComboBox_that_uses_a_NativeMenu__Air_API_-17533.html

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Someone has done that already:

http://ajarproductions.com/pages/products/in5/

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
One or all of these are required (assuming we want compatibility for CS5 and forward. If it's CS6 and forward they will be slightly different)):

apeddelta.swc
CSXSLibrary-2.0-sdk-3.4-public.swc
csaw_illustrator.swc
csaw_indesign.swc
csaw_photoshop.swc
MXThemeSync.swc

The csaw libs are only necessary if we do the application scripting in ActionScript. I tend to do that very often in ExtendScript (Javascript). So, they might not be strictly necessary.

I usually use one or more of the following, but I don't see off the bat why we'll necessarily need them:
as3commons.swc
as3crypto.swc
as3corelib.swc

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
I'm a bit crazy for trying to start this right now. I'm off to a conference in less than two weeks, and time is not exactly a commodity in large supply right now… ;-)

It will likely remain largely a skeleton for a few weeks, but at least I can get it started. I figure the support will come in stages. Where do you think I should start? I figure I'll start with Rect and add attributes to that until it's more-or-less complete. It can grow organically from there. Makes sense?

I was thinking of starting it on a whiteboard, but I guess the utilities repro makes sense. If there's no objections, I'll start it there.

Harbs

Re: CS Extensions

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
FWIW, Adobe made the CS extension for PS available here:

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/photoshop/photoshopcs5_fxg_p2_mac_093010.
zxp
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/photoshop/photoshopcs5_fxg_p2_win32_09301
0.zxp
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/photoshop/photoshopcs5_fxg_p2_win64_09301
0.zxp
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/photoshop/photoshopcs5_fxg_p3_mac_050311.
zxp
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/photoshop/photoshopcs5_fxg_p3_win32_05031
1.zxp
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/photoshop/photoshopcs5_fxg_p3_win64_05031
1.zxp

I have no idea what is in these downloads or what is the right version for
you, so good luck.

-Alex

--
Alex Harui