Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2007/10/25 19:23:33 UTC

[HttpCore] Tasks blocking 4.0 API freeze

Folks,

What are the tasks that are still blocking the freeze of the HttpCore
4.0 API?

The only thing I can think of is replacing the actual HTTP parser code
with a better one that never skips back while scanning the input, which
_may_ potentially result in some marginal (I would say 2 to 3%)
performance improvements.

Anything else?

Please note we will still be able to add new stuff and even change
existing interfaces past the API freeze but we will have to go though a
deprecation process.

Evil Comrade Oleg

Re: [HttpCore] Tasks blocking 4.0 API freeze

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 17:44 +0530, Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> Hi Odi
> > You are touching an important subject: lifecycle management. I suggest
> > create, start, stop, destroy methods in some classes/APIs (semantics of
> > JBoss Service MBeans). I think it's vital that we support that. Would
> > you mind opening a JIRA ticket for this?
> >
> I opened an improvement request
> (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCORE-127) so that we can
> officially queue this for consideration
> > JMX is a JDK 1.5 API (or J2EE 1.4). This would change the 1.3 dependency
> > requirement. I think it's best to implement the JMX stuff at the Synapse
> > level at the moment. You know best what you need. Maybe later we can
> > incorporate that into a separate module, if it's of interest to other users.
> >
> +1
> We will handle this at the Synapse transport level for now
>
> thanks
> asankha

Asankha

We already collect some metrics in HttpCore:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/httpcomponents/httpcore/trunk/module-main/src/main/java/org/apache/http/io/HttpTransportMetrics.java

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/httpcomponents/httpcore/trunk/module-main/src/main/java/org/apache/http/HttpConnectionMetrics.java

We could introduce additional interfaces for I/O reactor specific
metrics. This way one could easily expose these metrics through an JMX
compliant extension with just a little bit of custom code.

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Hi Odi

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.

Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> Apache Synapse would like to stop accepting new connections to put our
> servers into a "maintenance" mode. In this mode any in-flight requests
> already being served will continue as normal (i.e. reading, writing
> etc), but as new connections should be rejected, so that a load balancer
> could direct new connections to another instance in the cluster. The
> requirement is to then update configuration, apply patches or cleanly
> shutdown etc. for maintenance without effecting any in-flight requests.

Asankha,

You are touching an important subject: lifecycle management. I suggest
create, start, stop, destroy methods in some classes/APIs (semantics of
JBoss Service MBeans). I think it's vital that we support that. Would
you mind opening a JIRA ticket for this?

> Implementation wise I think this would be fairly straightforward as we
> can remove OP_ACCEPT from the interested ops. However, I would like to
> know your thoughts on this prior to moving ahead. Also do you have any
> plans of introducing any JMX support at HttpCore level? We can implement
> JMX support at the Synapse transport level and talk into the necessary
> HttpCore classes that hold metrics etc - but again I would like to know
> your thoughts

JMX is a JDK 1.5 API (or J2EE 1.4). This would change the 1.3 dependency
requirement. I think it's best to implement the JMX stuff at the Synapse
level at the moment. You know best what you need. Maybe later we can
incorporate that into a separate module, if it's of interest to other users.

> thanks
> asankha

Cheers

Ortwin
--
[web]  http://www.odi.ch/
[blog] http://www.odi.ch/weblog/

Re: [HttpCore] Tasks blocking 4.0 API freeze

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Hi Oleg
> Anything else?
>
> Please note we will still be able to add new stuff and even change
> existing interfaces past the API freeze but we will have to go though a
> deprecation process.

These are new features / enhancements I am about to ask for.. but
implementing support for these would possibly require backward
compatible API changes..