Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/23 14:08:26 UTC

OsGi Intro?

Devs who work on osgi...

I've made a few attempts to bootstrap myself with OSGi, and I'm
embarrassed to report that I can't seem to find the front door.

Goal, a pojo API that uses OSGi behind the scenes to organize a set of
modules that mix and match. JNI involved.

Could some kind soul point me at some place to start?

--benson

Re: OsGi Intro?

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Benson,

A number of people are working on books about OSGi but AFAIK none of
them are fully finished yet.
I have always liked Neil Bartlett's OSGi tutorials as a starting
point, you can find them here:
http://neilbartlett.name/blog/osgi-articles/
Neil's also working on a book which I think you can download from the same site.

By the sound of it what you need is OSGi Services which provide a
really nice pluggability point over a simple pojo Java API that you
define yourself. Neil's tutorials do explain services. I've once
written a services tutorial too, which you can find here:
http://coderthoughts.blogspot.com/2007/11/osgi-services-for-dynamic-applications.html

Oh and BTW Spring-DM makes using OSGi Services really easy. You can
find more info about that here: http://www.springsource.org/osgi

Hope it helps...

David